Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2012, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default silly question

ok i have a dsl line at home but i have legal access and permission to 2 other internet signals threw wireless pizza pizza across the street which my friend owns and one of the tattoo shops i work at is downstairs from me.

so my question is when i was messing around late last night i installed a usb wireless into my laptop.
Which also has it's own wireless now is the pc able to use both at the same time. If i maxed one out could the pc search the web just as fast as it did before on the open other internet connection or is there a way of it using both. ??

Oh ya i did bridge them and there 2 different isp if that matter to my knowledge it's supposed to allow the pc to use both i am just not sure on this part of things any info from you network master thanks

it's something i have never played with before last night so any info would be great and yes i used google there just so many different answers and now i am really tired a sick 10 year old keeping me awake all night didn't help lol
Old January 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know some programs allow you to bind to 1 connection, i think limewire back in the day had that. There might be a few load balancing programs for windows, that'll switch you over to browsing HTTP on the other connection if one is using a certain amount of bandwidth.
Old January 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Windows 7 will not load-balance the multiple internet connections. It will always give preference to one interface.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Windows 7 isn't really up for multi-WAN routing. You need a commercial-class router to do that, or at least know your way around Linux setups. You could consider a Mikrotik; they're pretty cheap. But you still need to know a fair bit to set them up properly.

Don't ever bridge two different ISP's together directly, especially when ADSL is involved. It can actually cause serious problems for the ISP's when the MAC addresses are seen flapping back and forth between the two connections, or when spanning tree PDU's make it across. You might get your connection turned off, followed by an angry phone call from Telus.