Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Running VMware server, trying to access it outside my network.

I'm running debian in a VM, I'm trying to SSH in to my server. I've forward port 22 to the IP debian gives me. (192.168.19.128) but accessing it outside my network doesn't work, so i tried forwarding it to my computer IP (192.168.0.100) to see if that made a difference, nope still can't access the server. I have no problem connecting to shell on my own network connecting to 192.168.19.128. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old January 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Heh. Im working on setting up the same thing. I am using ubuntu 10.10 with openssh setup on it. I can ssh in with any computer on my LAN at home, but haven't yet been able to connect remotely from work. If I get it figured out i'll post back. I'm using puTTy to connect as well as trying it on my ipodtouch with pterm app.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

you have to make sure your vmware network is set as nat iirc
Old January 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

outside your network? you have to access your public IP, not your internal IP.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
hmm. It just times out and doesnt connect. ssh port is being forward to the server's lan ip. I even put the server on the DMZ, made sure software firewalls were disabled. still doesn't want to go. argh.

This might be worth reading. port forwarding
and this

Last edited by dandelioneater; January 12, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old January 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Well i know that, it times out when i connect to my external IP or the domain forwarded to my IP.
Old January 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you have a minute to quickly check, install apache/nginx on your debian VM, create a port forwarding rule for port 80 and try to browse it from the outside. I can guarantee you'll get the same behavior. I think you've butched your port forwarding somewhere along the line. What sort of gateway or router are you using?

Also, I see you guys changed your default SSH ports (good!). Maybe you used 22 somewhere still?
Old January 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This is the reason why I prefer the lazy man way, which is to use the freeware software of Team Viewer and just remotely access/control the device using my phone, external computer from the network (either normally or with the web browser).
Old January 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your VMware NIC should be set to "Bridged". This will pull an IP directly from your router, and thus you'll be able to port forward it like usual.

By having VMware's NIC on "NAT", you are effectively double-NAT'ing your network, and as such making it impossible to port forward that traffic out/in.

Main goal: get Debian/Ubuntu to get an IP address from your router, likely 192.168.0.xxx. Then in your router, either put that into DMZ or port forward the necessary ports to it. Personally I wouldn't open up SSH on the common ports. Use something unique to prevent script kiddies from hammering it.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Your VMware NIC should be set to "Bridged". This will pull an IP directly from your router, and thus you'll be able to port forward it like usual.

By having VMware's NIC on "NAT", you are effectively double-NAT'ing your network, and as such making it impossible to port forward that traffic out/in.

Main goal: get Debian/Ubuntu to get an IP address from your router, likely 192.168.0.xxx. Then in your router, either put that into DMZ or port forward the necessary ports to it. Personally I wouldn't open up SSH on the common ports. Use something unique to prevent script kiddies from hammering it.
Bridged! Right.