Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2012, 04:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Your VMware NIC should be set to "Bridged". This will pull an IP directly from your router, and thus you'll be able to port forward it like usual.

By having VMware's NIC on "NAT", you are effectively double-NAT'ing your network, and as such making it impossible to port forward that traffic out/in.

Main goal: get Debian/Ubuntu to get an IP address from your router, likely 192.168.0.xxx. Then in your router, either put that into DMZ or port forward the necessary ports to it. Personally I wouldn't open up SSH on the common ports. Use something unique to prevent script kiddies from hammering it.
thanks, this is the answer i was looking for, ill try this out tomorrow when i get home, thats what i figured what was happening since it was a completely different subnet. I am planning on changing the port, i just want to get it working first.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
This is the reason why I prefer the lazy man way, which is to use the freeware software of Team Viewer and just remotely access/control the device using my phone, external computer from the network (either normally or with the web browser).
You can use team viewer to access via Phone ? that is scary but at the same time cool
Old January 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I do it the easy way. I RDP into my work PC. From there I have access to everything work related, I can telnet into the switches, run the vcenter client, everything.
Old January 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well this will be running an HTTPD & i will need ssh from outside my network, so teamview/RDP wont work for my needs :(
Old January 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

also, if you are running DD-WRT, make sure you reset the router after setting it. I've had problems with port forwarding if I don't reset the router.
and if that still doesn't work, try getting a DNS name for your IP. open DNS is what I use.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright thanks to everyone that suggested bridge connection, its working great now :D