Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default D3 Cable Modems and major providers?

Apparently I'm being limited by my modem to about 12mbps right now, so I'm looking in upgrading my Cable modem to a D3 standard modem. Or atleast thats what Rogers is telling me, which sounds like garbage. Ive got the Motorola SB5101. The website says that the modem is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant to a maximum of 42mbps. Are they feeding me a line of BS?

The 2nd problem is I'll be moving in the next 6ish months to a town provided by Cogeco cable. If I do have to shell out the cash for a modem that works with Rogers, will it work without issue in the new town under Cogego? I'm not really up on my networking jazz all that well, but my basic understanding tells me it should. Looking for confirmation from the beaver crew.

Oh, and if its yes to above, whats a good suggested brand/model for cheap?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 9, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think that what they are saying to you is correct because I am getting 15mbps with the same modem
Old December 9, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

distance plays a huge factor. If you only have one channel that's far away from a box, you're not going to get good speeds. D3 specifies a minimum of 4 channels, you should at least be getting four times your speed.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Clients and I both got a little over 30mbit with a DOCSIS 2 modem on Shaw..... if memory serves correctly.

Edit: According to DOCSIS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia DOCSIS 2 modem can do 42.88mbit/sec
Old December 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
distance plays a huge factor. If you only have one channel that's far away from a box, you're not going to get good speeds. D3 specifies a minimum of 4 channels, you should at least be getting four times your speed.
Distance is a factor for DSL, never heard of it for Cable.

Docsis 2 can do up to 38mbps. However the 38mbps is shared amongst your entire node (neighbours) of probably 100-200 users. So realistically that is unattainable. Docsis 3 can combine multiple channels, depending on the ISP they are doing 4-8 right now. Docsis 3 can also avoid congestion through the multiple channel pathways. Basically whatever you get the ISP is going to force feed you their POS Docsis 3 gateway crap. Rogers charges $7/mo to rent it for $150 to buy it. I'm not entirely sure what Cogeco uses, but they'd also make you buy their crap too. Getting an incumbent to provision a good modem like a Motorola, DCM or Thompson is nearly impossible. I'd recommend sticking with what you have or renting the Roger's modem until you move.

The only real way around this is by going with a third party provider like teksavvy, acanac, distributel etc. If they are available in your area you could buy their modem (probably a Motorola or DCM modem), but to my knowledge there is hardly any third party access in Cogecoland. The only exception being Chatham in which Teksavvy has service.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post

Docsis 2 can do up to 38mbps. However the 38mbps is shared amongst your entire node (neighbours) of probably 100-200 users. So realistically that is unattainable. Docsis 3 can combine multiple channels, depending on the ISP they are doing 4-8 right now. Docsis 3 can also avoid congestion through the multiple channel pathways. Basically whatever you get the ISP is going to force feed you their POS Docsis 3 gateway crap. Rogers charges $7/mo to rent it for $150 to buy it. I'm not entirely sure what Cogeco uses, but they'd also make you buy their crap too. Getting an incumbent to provision a good modem like a Motorola, DCM or Thompson is nearly impossible. I'd recommend sticking with what you have or renting the Roger's modem until you move.

The only real way around this is by going with a third party provider like teksavvy, acanac, distributel etc. If they are available in your area you could buy their modem (probably a Motorola or DCM modem), but to my knowledge there is hardly any third party access in Cogecoland. The only exception being Chatham in which Teksavvy has service.
Bingo! Do note that you can't use any DOCSIS 3.0 modems but the one Rogers provides, so no Motorola SB6121 for you unfortunately.

HOWEVER! Do not go with Teksavvy cable in Ontario. You will regret it. I regret it.
Old December 10, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Basically whatever you get the ISP is going to force feed you their POS Docsis 3 gateway crap. Rogers charges $7/mo to rent it for $150 to buy it. I'm not entirely sure what Cogeco uses, but they'd also make you buy their crap too. Getting an incumbent to provision a good modem like a Motorola, DCM or Thompson is nearly impossible. I'd recommend sticking with what you have or renting the Roger's modem until you move.
Wow, I never really understood how BADLY Rogers sucks ass.

I'm on Shaw and I get a 400GB cap vs Rogers and their 150GB. I also get a hell of a lot more speed. I also pay less. I also get a good Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem for free.

I don't think Rogers will ever get any of my money.

Hell, even with Cell phones the base plans for Rogers do not compete with base plans for Telus.
Old December 10, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Sure it does, it's an electronic signal over a copper line just like anything else. But perhaps "huge factor" was a bit over-stated. It's certainly not as prevalent as DSL factors due in part to how thick and shielded the core of a coax cable can be. If you're talking a building wired anywhere with RG-59, (and you're in Oshawa so I'm kinda assuming here from horrible experiences I've seen around the university) then you're not going to get a real good signal at all, but even your typical RG-6 over a healthy distance can lose quality (5.5 db / 100 ft? - also consider the run to whatever box Rogers has!) but you're right: It's usually not a big deal. Also maybe consider bad cable splitters, bad heads and un-terminated connections. Hell maybe you just got a dirty line somewhere on the route to the box slowing you down.

The simple matter is most of this crap is avoided using a MIMO like system.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, some great posts in here!

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm probably just gonna run out my existing modem until I move then worry about it. Paying $60 a month now as is, is enough, without tacking on another $7 for a new modem...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can always pick up a Bell grab and go bundle from Dell. 4 months Internet for $30. Or tell them you want in on the 50% off for new customers.