Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Telus routers

So we just moved into a new place and got telus "turbo high speed" we used to have a little provided wireless gateway that was B/G and now we have an Actiontec V1000H. we also have a D-Link wireless N dual band router. what I want to do is just have the Actiontec work as like a modem or bridge and have the D-link do all the routing. most of what I've found online says to just use your own router as a WAP or set it to assign different IP's than the telus router. I'd really rather just have the telus router act like a shaw modem so I can control everything through my d-link. anyone know how I could do this? (my networking knowledge is not that great)
Old December 8, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure that you can do that unless there is a way to turn off the NAT ( I think that is what it is called) inside the Telus router, why would you want to use your router instead of the telus one, is there a problem with it?
Old December 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

there's no problem with it. just if in the future I wanted to switch to shaw or something like that I'd have to reconfigure everything. I might just end up going with using my router as a WAP, seems like that would be easiest and actually possible.
Old December 10, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

dlink setup WAP
Old April 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

kind of necroing this thread. I just got forced onto telus (landlord was fed up with shaw) and with that, came their craptacular router. is there any way to turn off NAT on the Actiontec V1000H? I kind of need my old router so I can run dynDNS, static DHCP addresses, and proper port forwarding. as the telus one only supports port forwarding, and even that's pretty much hopeless.
EDIT: this is the telus version of the firmware, not the proper stuff, so I can't use the options that would normally be available to me.
Old April 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try calling them and asking them to put the modem into "bridge mode"? The rogers routers now allow this to be done from the customer side using the provided software, but it used to be something that had to be done from the ISP side ofthe modem.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

unfortunatly it's optic internet, so I can't just bypass the router. it would seem (unless the tech was either ignorant of options) that I'm stuck with whatever I can bodge together.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was going to send you a link to dslreports that discusses the Telus router and what options you have, including flashing it to a more open firmware. But I can't since they are down. I would check out their Telus forums as chances are you will find what you need there. Just have to wait for them to come back up.