Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2011, 02:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sharing Multiple Hard Drives as the same Folder (alternative to FlexRaid)

Well, it's looking like the latest versions (only ones available now) for FlexRaid seem to cause the file transfer rate to tank a lot slower then it used to be. I was wondering if there would be any other kinds of solutions out there, mainly just looking to allow to share multiple hard drives and make it appear to be one giant one. An example would be I have TV shows stored on about 3-4, want to be able to share them all viewable as one TV folder/drive.

Basically looking for an alternative to FlexRaid, bit it software raid or just file sharing software.
Old November 26, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

like a JBOD thing?
Old November 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah if it's Windows, convert them to Dynamic Disks and just enable Spanning (I think that's the name). No redundancy provided, just groups all the drives into a single logical drive.
Old November 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ive looked for this solution myself, still have not found much

windows spanning would be perfect, if it could allow de-spanning if 1 drive failed, right now if 1 fails you loose all of the data on all disks, very lame (needs confirmation)

we want access to multiple drives via 1 dir, no redundancy, but at the same time if 1 drive dies the rest are at least recoverable
Old November 26, 2011, 04:13 PM

My System Specs

For drive pooling I use Drive Bender. It still has a few bugs and it isn't free, but it does a pretty good job once you get it working. There is a 30 day trial if you are interested in taking a look at it. Unlike w/ spanning you won't loose all your data if a drive dies (yes I am aware you could always run a data recovery software to get the data off the other drives).
Old November 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well for starters I'm not worried about redundancy, most of the content on my server are tv shows, movies, music. All stuff that can be replaced if a drive crashes. The important documents are triple redundant already. First they are on their respective computers (mine or my fiancee's), second they are on a drive on the server, and third they are also backed up onto a flash card.

JBOD would still be some form of raid controller, which I don't overly care for or need really. Yeah, If one drive dies I don't want to have to "rebuild" the array, which essentially would make it a software raid. I may look into drive bender, I mean I wish FlexRaid still worked, however I've always had bugs with it (never natively runs at system boot up even with latest version having it enabled), and now it seems it take a lot longer for the network storage to actually pick up files off of it now. Adding 10GB of music to winamp using FlexRaid causes the program to crash/lag, whereas if I share just the music folder itself (its only on 1 HDD) it loads the songs instantly without any issues.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
For drive pooling I use Drive Bender. It still has a few bugs and it isn't free, but it does a pretty good job once you get it working. There is a 30 day trial if you are interested in taking a look at it. Unlike w/ spanning you won't loose all your data if a drive dies (yes I am aware you could always run a data recovery software to get the data off the other drives).

I just recently took Drive Bender for a test drive and while parts of it were really nice, there were some problems. I really did want it to work as have just to mapping points, one for tv and one for movies, makes things simpler, but there was a serious issue. I had two physical drives for TV shows and it was showing as one drive. I had it mapped and while that appeared to work well, it would constantly disconnect and then reconnect. It was causing major issues with my mediaportal setup as episodes and entire shows would go missing. It would just never keep a constant connection. In the end I had to get rid of it and now I am back to just mapping the individual drives. Sure it is a bit more work, but at least they stay connected.

Old November 27, 2011, 12:08 PM

My System Specs

I definitely never had any issues like that. The issues I have are with initial setup. Tried to migrate my storage pool to a new computer yesterday. I have yet to get it working. Until someone actually replies to my post in the forums I have no accessible storage pool.

Although even with its issues I think it is probably the best storage pooling software available so far.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I definitely never had any issues like that. The issues I have are with initial setup. Tried to migrate my storage pool to a new computer yesterday. I have yet to get it working. Until someone actually replies to my post in the forums I have no accessible storage pool.

Although even with its issues I think it is probably the best storage pooling software available so far.
I do agree, if they can get some of the minor bugs worked out it is very nice and has lots of options. Plus being able to just take them out and put a drive on another machine and not worry about the data is great. That said I do recommend trying it, it is a nice piece of software.

Old November 29, 2011, 05:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to try out drive bender this evening and see how it works out for me.