Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Router choices (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/48070-router-choices.html)

White Comet November 6, 2011 08:03 PM

Router choices

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to post but if not, mods please move to correct section. Thanks!

So I'm currently looking for a router that gives me a stronger wireless signal and N compatible router. Currently using an Asus WL-520GU.

What do you guys suggest? The current router is running DD-WRT, forgot which build as it was done some time ago.

So I was looking at the Buffalo AirStation Highpower N450/N600 and the upcoming Asus RT-N66U. Would these be good picks or should I be looking at something else? Looking to purchase soon. If I replace my existing router, can I use my existing router to become an access point somehow in the basement? That's where I'm having wireless signal issues because my router is in the 2nd floor.

Thanks

Perineum November 6, 2011 08:32 PM

I went with the Asus RT-N16 and run DD-WRT.

It's good enough for a 100mbit connection.

enaberif November 6, 2011 09:16 PM

asus rt-n16 with tomato

kingnubian November 7, 2011 07:05 AM

RT-N16 with Tomato USB. Absolute stability & performance.

Arundor November 7, 2011 08:00 PM

Another vote for RT-N16 here. I run mine with TomatoUSB firmware which is great, but it also supports dd-wrt which is said to be pretty good too.

The only downside I know of is the lack of dual band support, but most users tend not to need that.

Borg November 7, 2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arundor (Post 566176)
Another vote for RT-N16 here. I run mine with TomatoUSB firmware which is great, but it also supports dd-wrt which is said to be pretty good too.

The only downside I know of is the lack of dual band support, but most users tend not to need that.

How does the TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND v1 router compare?

I don't need a router yet but unless the hardware models released later on are significantly different down the line, that was the one I'd seriously consider.

Perineum November 7, 2011 08:32 PM

I upgraded all the heatsinks and antennas on mine as well. Nice and easy to take apart.

White Comet November 7, 2011 10:01 PM

wow, seems quite a lot of Asus users here...I might go with Asus as that was the plan all along, the Buffalo N450/N600 models have some impressive specs =/

Borg November 8, 2011 04:20 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on a router that is compatible with Tomato or OpenWRT or DD-WRT? I want to buy a wifi router in the future that can run any of those but also has inherent QOS that works properly.

I'm trying to confirm whether the TP-Link TL-WW1043ND router can do all that. If so, I think that will be my next router. I looked up the router on the TP-Link website and they have some mention of QOS but I was hoping someone who has looked into that router can confirm. Can anyone comment?

Maybe the OP might be interested in these? :)

Perineum November 8, 2011 08:19 PM

Well as stated above the Asus RT-N16 can run either DD-WRT or Tomato. I hear QOS on Tomato is "better" for some reason.