Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2011, 12:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on a router that is compatible with Tomato or OpenWRT or DD-WRT? I want to buy a wifi router in the future that can run any of those but also has inherent QOS that works properly.

I'm trying to confirm whether the TP-Link TL-WW1043ND router can do all that. If so, I think that will be my next router. I looked up the router on the TP-Link website and they have some mention of QOS but I was hoping someone who has looked into that router can confirm. Can anyone comment?

Maybe the OP might be interested in these? :)
Do you mean the WR1043ND? I haven't tried it but it is included on the dd-wrt supported devices and some of the other supported devices use the same chipset, so in theory it should be okay. There is no specific install guide for it so you might need to do some searching to find the right installation procedure.

As for the Tomato QoS mentioned above, I use it and can attest that it works fine, although I haven't delved into all the detailed and advanced settings. I just know that without it I had trouble with folding uploads monopolizing the connection, but turning on the Tomato QoS with default settings solved the problem.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Rookie

TP link is an interesting choice. Haven't really heard of them before. Looking at the 450Mbps Dual-Band Wireless N Gigabit Router is not bad, would be interested in to know how it compares as there really aren't much review on routers =/
Old November 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
Do you mean the WR1043ND? I haven't tried it but it is included on the dd-wrt supported devices and some of the other supported devices use the same chipset, so in theory it should be okay.
Yes. That's the one. Darn typo! Shame on me for not proofreading before the post!
Old November 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rookie

The TP-Link WR1043ND is a great wireless n router with 4 gigabit ports. I've used this model with the stock firmware for over a year now and no problems. I had an expensive cisco router, I can't remember the exact model now.. but it kept dropping connections wired and wireless. I mean for the price of the TP-Link and the quality, to me it beats out Dlink and some of the low/mid range cisco/linksys stuff.