Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Green Ethernet

Any of you guys heard about this?
Green Ethernet this option enables the feature to detect the length of the connected network cable and adjust the voltage accordingly (lower for shorter cables).

I have a Realtek PCIe GBE onboard nic. When doing speed tests and just general browsing things seemed to be so flaky I was trying to figure out why. So I went into the Advanced options in Device Manager and turned it off.

I went from 12mbps on speedtest.net to see 19mbps and while that may not seem like seem much the fact that this option is in there and enabled to cause this much loss is mental!
Old November 1, 2011, 10:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Any of you guys heard about this?
Green Ethernet this option enables the feature to detect the length of the connected network cable and adjust the voltage accordingly (lower for shorter cables).

I have a Realtek PCIe GBE onboard nic. When doing speed tests and just general browsing things seemed to be so flaky I was trying to figure out why. So I went into the Advanced options in Device Manager and turned it off.

I went from 12mbps on speedtest.net to see 19mbps and while that may not seem like seem much the fact that this option is in there and enabled to cause this much loss is mental!
'K, I'm curious, how do I access Advanced options in Win7?
Old November 2, 2011, 02:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Change the settings for a network adapter

Device properties for network adapters are device dependent. Read the device manufacturer's instruction manual to determine which settings you must change.
To change the settings for a network adapter
  1. Open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Network adapters.
  3. Right-click the network adapter you want, and then click Properties.
  4. On the Advanced tab, make the appropriate changes you want.
Old November 2, 2011, 04:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm do most/all network cards have/do this or is it a Win 7 feature? Either way that could help increase some network performance. The increase you saw was almost 1 MB/s, to me that's rather significant, especially if one is stuck with a lower speed ISP
Old November 2, 2011, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Hmm do most/all network cards have/do this or is it a Win 7 feature? Either way that could help increase some network performance. The increase you saw was almost 1 MB/s, to me that's rather significant, especially if one is stuck with a lower speed ISP
I know Realtek and Broadcom chips have software that can do this across all OS platforms. I never knew you could do it in Windows without it though.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most switches have had this for a while now. The switches will even turn ports off if it detects no connection there.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Its a new feature that is out.. At the least I say just check and see if your adapter has it.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Seems the one at work has it, but its default set to off. I'm going to check at home to make sure none of my other computers have that crap on.