Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2011, 02:08 AM
Top Prospect

Default How to configure my Telus Actiontec modem and Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware?

My ISP, Telus, provides me with an Actiontec modem. I want to use my Linksys WRT54GL with the Tomato firmware in WDS/Repeater mode. I can't seem to be able to configure the Linksys router to repeat the signal of the Actiontec modem.

I followed this guide: Configure WDS with Tomato Firmware From "Must-Have Firmware Tips by Souvik: MyOpenRouter

Yet, it's not working because it doesn't mention anything about entering the credentials of the main network. The Actiontec modem is configured with WPA/WPA2 with a username and password. The guide doesn't mention anything about entering that information nor does there seem to be a way to enter that information in the Tomato firmware. I figure that it cannot repeat the signal if I can't even do that. Also, how do I obtain the MAC address for the Actiontek modem?

For those that are using the Actiontec modem, how do I know which kind of security mode it's using? Under security in the modem, it lumps WPA and WPA2 into one option. I can't pick either one, but this option, which lumps it together. I will need to know because Tomato doesn't lump them together like what the Actiontec modem does.
Old October 25, 2011, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey
Log into the Actiontec and determine the MAC of the VOIP phone device and set it to DMZ in the Actiontec. This will put it (the VOIP phone) outside the Actiontec's NAT firewall and there should be no further issues. Only one device can be DMZ in a router.
I believe you will find it by it's IP in the Actiontecs tables.

You will have a problem though if you've plugged your router into the Actiontec and left it on the 192.168.0.0 adress range. The Actiontec uses that range, so there will be network conflicts. To avoid this change the address range of your router to the 172.16.0.0 range (the Actiontec can't be changed).

I believe you will find it by it's IP in the Actiontecs tables.

You will have a problem though if you've plugged your router into the Actiontec and left it on the 192.168.0.0 adress range. The Actiontec uses that range, so there will be network conflicts. To avoid this change the address range of your router to the 172.16.0.0 range (the Actiontec can't be changed).

- another TELUS tech
found this tidbit you can change your linksys ip so actiontecs see's it
Old October 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
found this tidbit you can change your linksys ip so actiontecs see's it
Thanks, but how will that help me?
Old October 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is the modem from telus a router also? if so you are probably running into a double nat problem which is basically means that if you can get into the telus modems config you turn off the firewall and just use your Linksys WRT54GL then u should be ok.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Is the modem from telus a router also? if so you are probably running into a double nat problem which is basically means that if you can get into the telus modems config you turn off the firewall and just use your Linksys WRT54GL then u should be ok.
Yea, it is, but even then, where can I enter my Telus router/modem's WPA/WPA2 information so that it can repeat the signal?

I don't see any option to disable the NAT. Under the firewall option, there is only NAT only, low, medium, and high.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you should be able o disable the firewall and wireless protection. mind you I have not dealt with Telus internet for many years hehe. it might be as simple as Taking a Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN . what I mean is pluging the input into an output that is closest to the wan input. here is a link that might help you
Article Viewer
I had to something similar when I build smoothwall ( hardware firewall) a few years back.
Old October 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I were you I would take a look here:

Telus forum | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Chances are you will find your solution there. I would find specifics but just too tired to do so, although you might want to look at the custom firmware for the Actiontec.