Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Default Help with Dual modem configuration

Hello, I am relatively new, I signed up because I am having problems with my network. Just recently i made a new gaming rig that is now in my room, the old pc that everyone used to use is in the living room. That being said i had to buy a wireless adapter card for my new pc since the other one is connected by modem/router to the internet. While browsing the internet on pc2(New one) works fine however when i start to game online the connection goes crazy, it goes from a stable 100 ping to around 30,000 ping or some other outrageous number. So at this point it can be anything because my Modem/router are kinda outdated(close to 2 years old) but at the same time I can have a bad wireless adapter card.

But i just want to get rid of this problem, Since i have DSL i can just connect to the internet so long as there is a phone jack which there is one in my room. So i was wondering, Can i have two modems running in the same house off the same internet? just using different phone jacks? So that way I can just buy a modem for my new pc to get rid of the crazy ping problem while playing online games? Also if i can will it affect the other computer connected by Modem/router in any way? If two modems aren't possible what do you guys recommend i do to fix it? I don't want to run wires from modem to new pc as my old pc is downstairs while my new one is upstairs. I have some money to spend too, not being too cheap about this.

Sorry for all the text, i just want to get this resolved and thanks for replying or reading

Last edited by LaMig; October 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:32 AM
Rookie

You can't have 2 modems logging in on the same DSL account at the same time. From what you're describing, the problem isn't your wireless network, it's most likely your modem/router. Most of those combo devices are pretty poor routers and you're better off getting a straight modem, and a higher end separate router than can run custom firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Invest in Powerline Ethernet instead of wireless if you want stable
Old October 19, 2011, 07:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowakage View Post
You can't have 2 modems logging in on the same DSL account at the same time. From what you're describing, the problem isn't your wireless network, it's most likely your modem/router. Most of those combo devices are pretty poor routers and you're better off getting a straight modem, and a higher end separate router than can run custom firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT.
What does the customfirmware do? Tomato or DD-WRT? sorry I'm a noob at Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Invest in Powerline Ethernet instead of wireless if you want stable
I was curious to as how those work, from what it seems you plug it to a wall outlet then you connect a router to a wall and connect it to the pc you want to get connection with?

Last edited by Arinoth; October 19, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMig View Post
I was curious to as how those work, from what it seems you plug it to a wall outlet then you connect a router to a wall and connect it to the pc you want to get connection with?
Correct. Both outlets are essentially turned into a network work.

What router do you have as well? That could play a big role.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

powerline ethernet is literally just a ethernet -> powerline in the wall converter. The other powerline adapter reconverts it back to ethernet again.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

what DSL modem using ? bell 2 wire (white modem) Essential Plus 2 Mbps or Performance 6 Mbps plan

white modem has wi-fi strenght settings may need to call bell to up the signal power (default is set to 4) to 10

best thing to do is have gaming machine wired and surfer on wi-fi
Old October 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Correct. Both outlets are essentially turned into a network work.

What router do you have as well? That could play a big role.
Well its pretty old, its a Linksys WRT54G2. I don't know how well that fares with a power line adapter kit. Here is a link of the router with specs.Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g up to 54Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port x4 and if this isn't sufficient enough what Powerline kit and router set up do you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
what DSL modem using ? bell 2 wire (white modem) Essential Plus 2 Mbps or Performance 6 Mbps plan

white modem has wi-fi strenght settings may need to call bell to up the signal power (default is set to 4) to 10

best thing to do is have gaming machine wired and surfer on wi-fi
For a powerline Setup what router would you recommend? Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless Broadband Router 802.11b/g up to 54Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port x4 here is a link of the router i currently have.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as you are on a DSL connection, try changing your setup around. Move the modem and router up to your gaming PC, and put the wireless card in the browsing PC.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowakage View Post
You can't have 2 modems logging in on the same DSL account at the same time.
I beg to differ.
Maybe you can't have 2 dsl modem connecting at the same time on the same physical copper line(regardless of the account(s) being used). I never tried 2 dsl modems on 1 copper line, so I can't really comment on this one.
But you can definitely have 2 modems logging in on the same account at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Seeing as you are on a DSL connection, try changing your setup around. Move the modem and router up to your gaming PC, and put the wireless card in the browsing PC.
QFT
Wired connection to your gaming rig, and wireless to everything else.

Last edited by blaze_125; October 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM.