Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Seeing as you are on a DSL connection, try changing your setup around. Move the modem and router up to your gaming PC, and put the wireless card in the browsing PC.
That is a quick fix, it is but it would be a hassle moving all the stuff from my old pc seeing as I'll have to move the huge desk it is on because all the cable wiring is going through the back. Also I don't know if my brother will still be using the old one for gaming but I will keep this in mind.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The other thing to consider is what wireless card did you buy? I find D-link and Linksys to be very picky about talking to other brands of cards/routers.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMig View Post
That is a quick fix, it is but it would be a hassle moving all the stuff from my old pc seeing as I'll have to move the huge desk it is on because all the cable wiring is going through the back.
It's the one solution that won't cost you a penny.
So what's a little sweat worth to you?
And who cares about your bro? If he wants to play too... all he has to do is come here, ask the same question you asked, and we'll tell him to put the wireless back in your PC and move the router beside his computer
Old October 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The other thing to consider is what wireless card did you buy? I find D-link and Linksys to be very picky about talking to other brands of cards/routers.
Newegg.com - Linksys WMP600N Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI WEP, WPA & WPA2 Personal, WPA & WPA2 Enterprise this is the Wireless adapter card i am using but The only problem with that is that both products(Router and Modem) are from linksys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
It's the one solution that won't cost you a penny.
So what's a little sweat worth to you?
And who cares about your bro? If he wants to play too... all he has to do is come here, ask the same question you asked, and we'll tell him to put the wireless back in your PC and move the router beside his computer
LOL haha, Yeah I'm thinking I might do this but I'm a guy that likes to please everyone so thats why I was asking if the powerline thing would fix my situation.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Powerline is great so long as you have good wiring in your house and are not that far away from the modem. Powerline isn't perfect but it certainly is a lot better than wireless for gaming. Not to mention the internal network of the house will be MUCH faster than using wireless.

I would highly recommend getting 500 mb/s powerline adapter. If you aren't sure about it being a solution you can always pick one up at best buy and if you don't like it you can return it for full refund.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 19, 2011, 09:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Powerline is great so long as you have good wiring in your house and are not that far away from the modem. Powerline isn't perfect but it certainly is a lot better than wireless for gaming. Not to mention the internal network of the house will be MUCH faster than using wireless.

I would highly recommend getting 500 mb/s powerline adapter. If you aren't sure about it being a solution you can always pick one up at best buy and if you don't like it you can return it for full refund.
Thank you for all the information about Powerline, But i decided to just switch the set ups and it is working fine now. However it was good being "enlightened" about powerline networking which i didn't know about. Might be a possible idea in the future.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
MVP

Wireless shouldnt be that bad, im on wireless and I hardly ever get lag spikes, and even when I do its not horrible (still far from unplayable)

I am inclined to think that either something is wrong with the router or there was some major interference with the modem/wireless. If it still happens with you being connected directly I would pay attention to what else is happening at the same time. Did someone use the phone or get a call? Does your brother complain every time someone turns on the microwave, stuff like that.
Old October 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Wireless shouldnt be that bad, im on wireless and I hardly ever get lag spikes, and even when I do its not horrible (still far from unplayable)

I am inclined to think that either something is wrong with the router or there was some major interference with the modem/wireless. If it still happens with you being connected directly I would pay attention to what else is happening at the same time. Did someone use the phone or get a call? Does your brother complain every time someone turns on the microwave, stuff like that.
I've been playing wired for a day now with no problems. phone doesn't cause anything, I'm thinking I got a bad adapter card, I've read some complaints of people that have the same exact problem I do, it works fine while browsing but once you try to game it goes crazy. And whats the whole thing with the microwave stuff?
Old October 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Microwaves and older wireless phones interfere with the 2.4 Ghz band used by Wireless G.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

DIR-615 on sale this week good for value