Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Startech Cat 6 Cables

Has anyone tested / used Startech CAT6 cables? My box of CAT5e only has about 5ft left and I was going to go buy a spool of CAT6. However with the price of Startech cables being 1/3rd that of other pre-made cables it will actually be cheaper to buy those for what I need. I am just a little leery based on price that they aren't meeting CAT6 standards.
Yes, CAT5e is all I need, however why not future proof myself as I hate running cables..I still have a couple rooms on CAT5
Old October 14, 2011, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would opt for Monoprice over Startech for low-priced cables. I trust Monoprice's quality much more than I do Startech's.

CAT5e vs CAT6 really makes no difference though, both support Gigabit speeds which is all you'll see in homes for quite a few more years. 10Gb Ethernet isn't overly popular yet and definitely hasn't touched the consumer level.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How long do you need them? I have quite the collection of unused Belden Cat6 Cables around (top tier stuff Belden cable too).

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No longer needed. I managed to score.an amazing price on some rocket fish cables...to think they charge $1 per foot...thankfully they have insane markup.