Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Default corning adsl vdsl pots splitter help

Can anyone tell me what this does?
A friend asked if I could help him with his home networking of his house. Every room has a ethernet jack on the wall. Downstairs all the wires come together. I took of one of the wall mounts and only 2 wires are hooked up of the 10 or so wires. Downstairs where all the wires come together all of these wires are only using 2 wires which are connected together separated as positive and negative. These wires then run into a phone jack then to the dsl part of this corning splitter separted by T and R. I believe the phone part of the splitter ran to the alarm system and I did not pay too much attention on where the line splitter was running.

What do I do to make it possible to have internet in every room?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like they wired everything with Ethernet, but only connected 1 pair so it's effectively a plain ol' telephone line.

Some pictures would be helpful to determine how to go about "converting" it.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Rookie

Ill see if he can send me a picture of the hookup. Thanks
Old October 13, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

sounds like the used 4 pair to run the phone drops to each room. If it's 4 pair your in luck. All you would need to do is connect the pair wires to a patch panel. Then patch in cables to the router/switch for the home network.

However doing this will remove the ability to connect a standard phone to the jack. The T and R are for the phone (Tip and Ring).

Honestly if they aren't using the jacks for phones just wire them up as explained above.

you will need to identify what kind of cable was used Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 so you get the right gear. Most of the stuff you need can be obtained super cheap from monoprice.

I wish my house was wired with 4 pair instead of the stupid 2 pair.

Old October 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
sounds like the used 4 pair to run the phone drops to each room. If it's 4 pair your in luck. All you would need to do is connect the pair wires to a patch panel. Then patch in cables to the router/switch for the home network.

However doing this will remove the ability to connect a standard phone to the jack. The T and R are for the phone (Tip and Ring).

Honestly if they aren't using the jacks for phones just wire them up as explained above.

you will need to identify what kind of cable was used Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 so you get the right gear. Most of the stuff you need can be obtained super cheap from monoprice.

I wish my house was wired with 4 pair instead of the stupid 2 pair.
Cat5e is used more commonly than Cat5 and the difference between Cat5e and 6 is so minimal that most people just use Cat5e regardless.

In regards to Gear for networking with Cat5e or 6 it makes no difference.