Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Only some computer can connect to my home network (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/47150-only-some-computer-can-connect-my-home-network.html)

JoshOohAh October 9, 2011 04:37 PM

Only some computer can connect to my home network

I have a lot of devices in my house that can use my network but for some reason it seems that all my devices are having issue. This problem happened a week ago and I assumed it was an ISP issue and it would resolve itself which it has not. So here's the situation

-Both of my brother's computers work, his iPhones Wi-Fi, his iPads Wi-Fi, and his PS3 all work as well
-My Netbook as of an hour ago works however my desktop, my Android phone, and my DS do not connect to the Wi-Fi.
-I've also been informed my mother's computer is not connecting to the internet either.

(Really seems like my brother did something to our stuff :p but he isn't that tech savvy to do anything)

My desktop and my netbook were unable to connect to one of my neighbours who have an open network. However there is another neighbour who is much further away and I have a really weak signal that all my devices can connect fine and they work. When I realized this I assumed the stronger open network was on the same ISP and having the same problem. I don't know if that could be it.

For a point I was using my Android phone as a "Hot Spot" for my desktop and netbook and it had no issues connecting to that but I had to stop because I am afraid of going over my data usage.

I have tried unplugging re plugging restarting . All that basic crap and none of it seemed to help.

I just don't know what to do. I don't get how my netbook all of a sudden has started to work when still my desktop and phone are going through the same problem.

Please any advice would be great. I wanted to give my ISP a call but their offices are closed until Tuesday.

Shadowmeph October 9, 2011 04:43 PM

I am only guessing an really have little experience with networks but you seem to have allot of things connecting to your network this is why I am currious as to how many connections are allowed to connect to the network?

JoshOohAh October 9, 2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 555999)
I am only guessing an really have little experience with networks but you seem to have allot of things connecting to your network this is why I am currious as to how many connections are allowed to connect to the network?

Hmmm that was a thought that did cross my mind but I wasn't sure where I could find this number.

ilya October 9, 2011 05:48 PM

You honestly haven't given any useful information at all - nobody can really help you without it.

For starters it would be useful to know what router you're using.

JoshOohAh October 9, 2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 556023)
You honestly haven't given any useful information at all - nobody can really help you without it.

For starters it would be useful to know what router you're using.

I am using a Linksys E2500

ilya October 9, 2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshOohAh (Post 556026)
I am using a Linksys E2500

Try plugging in the devices directly via ethernet where possible.

See if you can get to the router settings page on the devices with connection issues. For your router the default is 192.168.1.1. If you can't get to the page, use one of your working devices and access it, check to see all your settings are correct on the non working devices and on your router.

On a side note, are any of your devices using the 5ghz band?

boggtrotter59 October 9, 2011 06:19 PM

I've had problems in the past with Lynksys routers not properly assigning an IP address to all computers on the network. The dhcp server would work properly sometimes but not always. I got around this issue by assigning a static IP address to each computer on the network...

JoshOohAh October 9, 2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 556033)
Try plugging in the devices directly via ethernet where possible.

See if you can get to the router settings page on the devices with connection issues. For your router the default is 192.168.1.1. If you can't get to the page, use one of your working devices and access it, check to see all your settings are correct on the non working devices and on your router.

On a side note, are any of your devices using the 5ghz band?

Okay this is all too weird. I was unable to access 192.168.1.1 when I plugged my netbook into my router. In fact I didn't get any network access at all. I unplugged the ethernet and did it wirelessly from this computer and it seemed to be working fine. I got a glimpse of a few settings one of which said there was a maximum of 50 users allowed on the network. Now it will no longer connect to my home network any longer. It is having the same problem as the other devices of mine that aren't working. As I type this I am on my netbook connected to my "neighbours open network" Then I grabbed my desktop and set it up in the room where the router is. I plugged in through the same port on the back of the router and said I am connecting to my network. Although I do not have access to the internet. I also grabbed one of the working computers and it appears it is no longer working. I have thankfully found 1 computer somewhere in this house that is connected to my network and can access the 192.168.1.1 . It's just weird how these devices are starting not to work any longer.

Also sorry this is not my area of expertiese but how would I know if a device is using the 5GHz connection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 (Post 556040)
I've had problems in the past with Lynksys routers not properly assigning an IP address to all computers on the network. The dhcp server would work properly sometimes but not always. I got around this issue by assigning a static IP address to each computer on the network...

How would I go about doing something like this?

Jonesy October 9, 2011 07:37 PM

In your router settings you should (not aware of the interface on current linksys routers) be able to set your computer user name ie: JoshOohAh - PC (or w/e it is) to always be assigned the same IP ie: 192.168.1.126, that prevents that IP from being distributed from the DHCP pool. Linksys may not need a PC user name, just a list of IP's not to assign via DHCP
Then, in your network and sharing center, go to change adapter settings -> right click your network interface card -> Properties -> select IPv4 -> Properties -> select the radial button (use the following IP address) -> Key in your IP address (from 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.254) -> set your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 -> set your Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 -> Click ok -> (these next few steps aren't mandatory, however if for some reason your NIC doesn't seem to swap to your static route, it will force it) open command prompt -> (Default directory is fine, you don't need to go to root of C:) Key: ipconfig /release -> Key: ipconfig /renew -> you have static IP

roh_ultima October 9, 2011 07:42 PM

it could be a different gateway ip address

go to your brothers computer that can connect
go do control panel, then network
get into your network and sharing

left side
change adapter settings

double click on the network device connected
then click on "details"

it will have something saying default gateway address

i also suspect that the router is now running on pure N band. instead of b/g/n
devices that are wireless G can "see" wireless N but not connect to it