Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

First thing I would try is rebooting the router... At the back of the router there should be a small pinhole... Stick a paperclip or toothpick in there and hold it for a few seconds. This will reassign IP addresses to all the computers and devices on the network and possibly solve your problem. To set a static IP you first need to enter your routers configuration utility (just enter the default gateway address into a web browser) and find out which IP addresses are set aside for the dhcp server. There are usually 50 or 100.. You want to set an IP address below this range as 2 computers on the network can't have the same IP address. Not sure what OS you are using but you go into network connections>local area connection>properties... Click internet protocol then properties... check use the following IP address and enter an address outside of the range your router uses. You also need to enter the default gateway and dns server addresses. You can get this info by going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig/all... all the info should be there.

Edit: here's a link that shows you all the steps for win7:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...kpk2dg&cad=rja

Last edited by boggtrotter59; October 9, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 9, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I've had problems in the past with Lynksys routers not properly assigning an IP address to all computers on the network. The dhcp server would work properly sometimes but not always. I got around this issue by assigning a static IP address to each computer on the network...
Given the nature of what happened when you tried wired vs wireless, my money's on this.
Old October 9, 2011, 07:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
In your router settings you should (not aware of the interface on current linksys routers) be able to set your computer user name ie: JoshOohAh - PC (or w/e it is) to always be assigned the same IP ie: 192.168.1.126, that prevents that IP from being distributed from the DHCP pool. Linksys may not need a PC user name, just a list of IP's not to assign via DHCP
P
First and farmost I would like to thank everyone who posted on this thread to help me. I think I was suffering from internet withdrawal all week

But to be honest I don't get how I only used the quoted text and it fixed my entire problem. That's all I did I added a static IP 192.168.1.126 but didn't even use one of my devices to exclusively to connect to it. Everything kind of just fixed itself. My netbook works, and most importantly my desktop works so I am ecstatic right now :D

Once again thanks everyone I really really appreciate everything
Old February 19, 2012, 12:38 AM
Rookie

Maybe the number of computers which can connect to your network have reached the limit.
Old February 19, 2012, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default get info first before hard re-setting unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
First thing I would try is rebooting the router... At the back of the router there should be a small pinhole... Stick a paperclip or toothpick in there and hold it for a few seconds. This will reassign IP addresses to all the computers and devices on the network and possibly solve your problem. To set a static IP you first need to enter your routers configuration utility (just enter the default gateway address into a web browser) and find out which IP addresses are set
note:
before doing this action if router a ISP's you will wipe all network info and be DOA for internet connection, will have to call isp for info.

what explained above is hard resetting router to factory defaults unless ISP has own firmware burned in router like some roger's cable routers.