Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
Allstar

+1 to the dlink. trendnet scares me personally... some stuff i have run across works great....but most seems to have issues. dlink, linksys, netgear have about the same reliable record in what i have seen so honestly going with what ever you feel from those three will be a win.
Old October 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had the GS116 for years. I can't remember the exact year I bought it except it was very expensive and not many people were using gigabit yet. Worked excellent for me until I sold it to one of my clients. It's still working today.

I've owned a couple of Trendnet switches and they seem ok. However, I have 2 trendnet cameras and they don't work after a couple of days. It's pissing me off.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you can't go wrong with prosafe. However keep in mind that since it's a desktop switch it may not have wall mounting holes. I know i ran into a similar issue with network drops in my new house. I decided to try out the MOCA stuff over coax. I can tell you that it works pretty darn good. Haven't had any issues so far.

Old October 17, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think all the netgear stuff has mounting holes on the bottom.
Old October 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

One word for mounting switches. Velcro. Get the big strips at any craft or fabric store. It makes your life a lot easier.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
One word for mounting switches. Velcro. Get the big strips at any craft or fabric store. It makes your life a lot easier.
How do you recommend that I mount it with Velcro? Any pictures?
Old October 17, 2011, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect

I've been told that the ZyXEL GS-1510-16 Switch - 16 ports - managed is a better solution. Does anyone here know where to get that for cheap in Canada?

ZyXEL GS-1510-16 Switch - 16 ports - managed

I've also been told that the Apple Airport Extreme is a good router. Are there any comments about it?

Apple (Canada) - AirPort Extreme - Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi base station

Apple recently released the Airport Utility for iOS 5.

AirPort Utility For iOS Can Setup Your AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule [Review] | Cult of Mac

Will this software make it a breeze for me to control and monitor the wireless network from that device? I do have an iPhone 4 and will soon have an iPad 2.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I would not go with Apple products for networking equipment. Once your router is setup I sincerely hope you have better things to do then screw with it endlessly. Easy enough to take control of it from any attached computer

ZyXEL has been around forever, but I'm not sure how good their managed switch is going to be.

If you don't need a managed or semi managed switch then don't get one. Simple is nice sometimes.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Personally I would not go with Apple products for networking equipment. Once your router is setup I sincerely hope you have better things to do then screw with it endlessly. Easy enough to take control of it from any attached computer

ZyXEL has been around forever, but I'm not sure how good their managed switch is going to be.

If you don't need a managed or semi managed switch then don't get one. Simple is nice sometimes.
Someone also suggested the Trendnet TEG-S16DG 16 Port Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Switch. I'm not sure how it compares to the ZyXel. Where can I buy the ZyXel for the cheapest in Canada?
Old October 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

other is 3Com brandname AKA cisco, check your kijji