Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
What's the biggest difference between the switch that you listed and the one that JD listed? There is a massive price difference.

When you go over 8 ports you pay a serious price increase.

There is no real reason for it other than they want to gouge what they think is "enterprise level" products.

You can uplink a bunch of 8 ports together, but if you're doing more than one transfer of data across the uplink port then you're going to halve your bandwidth.

If you can live with that then no worries.
Old October 9, 2011, 01:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
When you go over 8 ports you pay a serious price increase.

There is no real reason for it other than they want to gouge what they think is "enterprise level" products.

You can uplink a bunch of 8 ports together, but if you're doing more than one transfer of data across the uplink port then you're going to halve your bandwidth.

If you can live with that then no worries.
Basically he just needs to consider network traffic...

Put all the high need devices on the same switch and then it won't have to use the uplink very often.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've killed 2 'consumer' 8-port switches. That 16-port 'prosumer' is still going strong.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I've killed 2 'consumer' 8-port switches. That 16-port 'prosumer' is still going strong.
You must do some crazy stuff over there then

I've yet to have any of my consumer switches die. Have an "old" D-Link 8-port before they switched to the "Green" models, a 5-port Netgear (white plastic), a D-Link 5-port "Green", 2 of those Trendent GREENnet ones and a Netgear 8-port ProSafe. Granted I only use the last 4 listed, but the old D-Link and Netgear still work fine.

I've had a bunch of D-Link consumer routers fail miserably though, but who hasn't?
Old October 10, 2011, 06:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

8 computers, most running all at once does that to cheap switches. 1 was a Linksys / Cisco, the other a Trendnet. This Dlink has been stable for quite sometime now.
Same goes for routers, I've killed Linksys / Dlinks, but this Asus is running like a champ.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
Allstar

I would consider any enthusiast home to be more of a demand then a small business most of the time. When I have gone into places that have done the daisy chain cheap setup they have had many problems. The switch I listed is not even a managed switch or anything special, but it does have some good sized heat sinks in it, and if you start pumping a lot of data through a switch or a router they get hot. Unless your on a tight budget I don't see suggesting a daisy chain approach personally.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus routers and switches for the win. Cisco/linkage and d-link can die terrible terrible deaths.

To the OP, it seems in my opinion we are making this more difficult then need be. Unless you're bandwidth heavy on the internal network, a couple hours of product research (or questions here :p) on a switch and router will be sufficient to solve your issues.

As to your tenant question; I'm sure the previously mentioned Asus 16 router with Tomato firmware will allow you to limit and monitor their bandwidth and GB usage, so you won't even need a 2nd wireless router or even a split network.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 15, 2011, 04:07 AM
Top Prospect

Default Is the Asus RT-N56U a decent dual band router?

I originally had my eyes on the Linksys E4200, but there seems to be some positive opinion about the Asus router. I presume the RT-N56U is capable of transmitting data in both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz spectrum? Is it also capable of installing a third-party firmware like Tomato?

Thanks!
Old October 16, 2011, 01:30 AM
Top Prospect

Sorry guys, but I've been busy and haven't been to my new house to check yet. I should have time tomorrow and I'll update the thread once I check it out myself.

In the mean time, what do you guys think of the Netgear ProSafe™ 16 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch?

GS116

It's a bit expensive, but I'm looking to buy for quality and reliability. I don't think I need a manage switch for my purpose, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is overkill, then please suggest me a better value gigabit switch! Thanks!
Old October 16, 2011, 04:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Will work. Or this: NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TEG-S16DG 16 Port Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Switch - TRENDnet - TEG-S16DG - in Canada.
Or the one I have (but not on special this week): NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DGS-1000-16 Port Easysmart Gigabit Switch Desktop or Rackmount (Rackmount Ears Included) - D-Link - DGS-1100-16 - in Canada.