Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Powerline adaptors (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/46619-powerline-adaptors.html)

The Quicken September 21, 2011 11:37 PM

Powerline adaptors

I want to pick up a powerline kit, but not only are there several brands, there are many models/classes per brand.

Want 200mbs, which should I get??

Asus has one that I can't find much news on yet (too new) Trendnet seems good but so does the Netgear.

Is there any defining qualities I should be made aware of? :bananafunky:

lcdguy September 23, 2011 06:52 AM

i would also check out monoprice as they also have some. Finally i am trying out a MOCA coax to ethernet bridge and let you know how it works. So far in my test's it has been quite positive.

belgolas September 23, 2011 05:40 PM

All of them are basically the same. I was running at 200mb/s but I upgraded to a new 500mb/s as I wanted more than just a megabit connection.

NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TPL-401E2K 500MBS Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit - TRENDnet - TPL-401E2K - in Canada

This is really cheap for a 500 so might as well pick that up.

The Quicken September 24, 2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 551584)
All of them are basically the same. I was running at 200mb/s but I upgraded to a new 500mb/s as I wanted more than just a megabit connection.

NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TPL-401E2K 500MBS Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit - TRENDnet - TPL-401E2K - in Canada

This is really cheap for a 500 so might as well pick that up.

f*%#@%$

I already picked up the Netgear from bestbuy (200mbs) for $99.

works better than I had hoped, torrenting & streaming MKV simultaneously. Guess I'm taking it back for the Trendnet lol.

belgolas September 24, 2011 12:34 PM

Make sure you update the firmware as it pretty much doubled my speed.

Linus September 24, 2011 12:57 PM

That Trendnet unit is REEEEEEALLUY popular...

The Quicken September 26, 2011 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went and ordered a kit today, was looking at pics of the adapter (which may not show actual product).....please tell me the Trendnet TPL-401E2K does NOT block access to the other power outlet...?

The NetGear powerline does not which I like.

The Quicken September 26, 2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 551396)
i would also check out monoprice as they also have some. Finally i am trying out a MOCA coax to ethernet bridge and let you know how it works. So far in my test's it has been quite positive.

That does look interesting, yes please keep me updated.

belgolas September 26, 2011 04:49 PM

it doesn't block the other outlet. You can use it up or down as well. There are some powerline adapters that come with a pass through plug but they are a lot more expensive :(

If you want pretty fast lan connection you can get another adapter and place it in the same room. I have a lan room at my house where my 6 pc gaming friends all put their computers so we used to have a switch in the middle of the room but thanks to powerline I just put one adapter on each side of the room and don't have any cables going across. Since I am using a 200 mb/s for the other side I "only" get 145 mb/s which is way more than enough for lan gaming.

Killswitch September 26, 2011 05:47 PM

I don't know, something about essentially plugging an ethernet cable into a 120V AC outlet doesn't sit well with me. Has anyone ever heard of one of these failing?