Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2011, 04:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

So I picked up a second pair of the Trendnet 500mbs, only have 3 installed right now but I'm pretty happy with my results, I think the wiring in my room is shady, I had even lower numbers until I moved sockets.

Ping test from Bed.ROOM PC Power line to media player connected to Living.ROOM Power line.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Quicken; December 3, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old December 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

good to know and great that you coverd your ip ;)
Old December 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
good to know and great that you coverd your ip ;)
I'm curious why the third device (connected to router) does not show, not relevant but I would still like to see it. Even with the lower quality signal to my room it's more than ample for media streaming MKV files and my PC in my room gets great Speedtest results.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Quicken; December 3, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old December 3, 2011, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do these units have to be isolated on the same circut to get Net or is it transmitting/receiving regardless of where they are relitive in the house?

--ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Do these units have to be isolated on the same circut to get Net or is it transmitting/receiving regardless of where they are relitive in the house?

--ST
It's my understanding that you have to be on the same circuit, IT Network Tech at work tried them to get a more stable signal from Office servers to Warehouse (where there is a lot of wireless/wired access points) but it wouldn't work because too many circuits.

If you only have one breaker box you should be good. Ask belgolas, has more experience with these than me.

Brother inlaw has 3 story 6 bedroom house (new build) and He has net access all over via 4x Netgear 200mbs adapters.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OKay good, thats what I was curious about for trying them out.

Not too familiar with the technology,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 5, 2011, 12:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
OKay good, thats what I was curious about for trying them out.

Not too familiar with the technology,

-ST
I personally think the tech is just plain weird, but much more stable than wireless. And it's plug & play, literally lol.

I picked up the second pair of adapters so I could continue to eliminate my use of wireless at home with the exception of laptops/tablets/smartphones.

Very stable (see pic below) highlighted in Yellow is the 'graph' while doing a speedtest that shows 'spikes' & 'dips' ....on Powerline it's just like being wired. The Red I threw in is what the Graph looked like while using wireless N.
Attached Images

Old December 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi guys,

EDIT: The unit I'm looking at is the Trendnet TPL-401E2K 500Mbps. I am wondering whether I need 500Mbps, however, as the Shaw internet I'm getting is only 25Mbps, and realistically is more like 14Mbps...

Figured I'd hijack this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm trying to find the best way of boosting the internet connection to my PS3, which is located at the end of my house furthest from the cable modem & router (house is ~2500 sq. ft.). Provided that I do not want to move the PS3, nor do I want to move the cable modem/router from my room, what would you guys suggest as the best way of boosting the signal picked up by the PS3?

Currently I'm looking at the Trendnet powerline adapter kit and also a wireless repeater from ncix. I can't decide which one will work best for me. I have a D-Link router that is broadcasting the signal from my room upstairs, but that signal gets VERY weak by the time it gets to the living room where my PS3 is located. If I were to get a repeater, it would have to be placed somewhere between the PS3 and the router upstairs, versus the powerline adapter that could be placed right next to the PS3. I am concerned about signal interference from the powerline though, and also any potential power surge...not that we have many thunderstorms here in Langley to begin with...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And yes, I've tried switching the router broadcast channels. And no, running an ethernet cable from my room to the PS3 is not feasible. :)

Thanks again!!!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock

Last edited by sakage.shinga; December 28, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if you have a cable tv drop and use either OTA or Digital Cable (not Satellite) the MOCA Coax to ethernet bridges (Netgear) work great. I have a pair that i have been using for 4 months. Very simple to use.

Old December 28, 2011, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

if D-Link router has screw on antenna

get rp-sma male and female connectors plus RG178 Mini-Coax cable the lenght needed to reach ps3 room or more central area for laptop

antenna now screw on your extended cable