Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2011, 06:04 AM
Allstar

Default Tomato firmware and bridging security

I recently upgraded my Hackitosh to 10.6 and found out my Linksys 54G wireless is no longer supported (it worked under 10.5). So I dusted off my old Linksys 54L router with Tomato firmware and set it as a wireless bridge. My concern is that someone will try to connect to my network via the bridging router. Right now, my primary router is using MAC address filtering on the wireless side. Should I also set up MAC filter on the bridge router as well (having the primary router's MAC as allowed)?
Old September 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make your encryption WPA or WPA2, and using a password of at least 8 characters in length. Password must contain one uppercase, one lowercase, one number and one special key (IE: !@#$%^&* etc) Brute force cracking that will take years. Adding more length just makes it completely pointless to try breaking into it.

MAC filtering won't stop anything since I can just change the MAC address of what I'm using to make it the same as yours.

Hiding the SSID from showing doesn't stop the data from flowing.

Those 2 methods only hide the routers from people too stupid to ever want to break into your network to begin with.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Grab a 63-digit ASCII password from:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
Old September 17, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What was suggested above, use WPA2 and you're set, although if someone was determined to crack it, it won't take them long. There is no way to keep your network completely safe unless you turn wireless off completely.
Old September 18, 2011, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as there isn't a straight out exploit and the method of entry is just by brute forcing the password then WPA2 with a 8+ character passkey with attributes as I said above should be rather discouraging to almost everybody, unless you're Scarlett Johansson and people know you leave an open share on your wireless connection.........
Old September 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It takes less then an hour to crack WPA2 by brute force if you have the money and require it that badly... :P but yeah, it's the best route.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

..link to that source of information?