Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   DD-WRT with Guest option (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/46349-dd-wrt-guest-option.html)

The Quicken September 9, 2011 12:29 PM

DD-WRT with Guest option

Sister is opening a small business, has mild network needs. Recommendations for linksys router
(preferably) with mature dd-wrt firmware that has a GUEST option (for wireless access).

Safe access to wireless printer would be a + (for guests)
:thumb:

enaberif September 9, 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quicken (Post 548135)
Sister is opening a small business, has mild network needs. Recommendations for linksys router
(preferably) with mature dd-wrt firmware that has a GUEST option (for wireless access).

Safe access to wireless printer would be a + (for guests)
:thumb:

Your better off running 2 separate routers on different IP addresses for this.

LarkStarr September 9, 2011 12:34 PM

^ this. just from a security standpoint as well, never mind the ease.

ilya September 9, 2011 01:29 PM

Linksys/Cisco has routers meant for small businesses with all the features you mentioned and more - but they can be pricey compared to a DD-WRT solution.

TBH, if it's a small business, you just have to be well defended against script kiddies, real hackers honestly wouldn't bother with you.

The Quicken September 9, 2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 548138)
Your better off running 2 separate routers on different IP addresses for this.

Ok, can you elaborate how you would set it up? (network map)

enaberif September 9, 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quicken (Post 548157)
Ok, can you elaborate how you would set it up? (network map)

Internet Modem -> Router #1 (192.168.1.1) -> Router #2 plugged into Router #1 (192.168.0.1)

You can then essentially have the business running off Router #1 and then have any other business like guest people to use router #2.

In our shop we have 2 networks.. Sales and Technical. We also have 2 IPs from our ISP (which some do for free) and have a switch to split the connection.

This way if any viruses get into the Techical Network it doesnt' affect the Sales side and vice versa.

JD September 9, 2011 01:57 PM

You could do that with a single router on DD-WRT...

Just make a virtual WLAN interface, assign it a different IP, enable DHCP and make a 2nd DHCP pool, and then change the "Network Configuration" to "Unbridged". It would effectively be the same as plugging in a secondary router/AP.

I suppose you could also setup VLANs to allow the printer to work on both as well.

The Quicken September 9, 2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 548158)
Internet Modem -> Router #1 (192.168.1.1) -> Router #2 plugged into Router #1 (192.168.0.1)

You can then essentially have the business running off Router #1 and then have any other business like guest people to use router #2.

In our shop we have 2 networks.. Sales and Technical. We also have 2 IPs from our ISP (which some do for free) and have a switch to split the connection.

This way if any viruses get into the Techical Network it doesnt' affect the Sales side and vice versa.

And for extra security I would change the IP login of the Guest router? (so it's not default ie; 192.168.1.1)

lowfat September 9, 2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 548164)

Just make a virtual WLAN interface, assign it a different IP, enable DHCP and make a 2nd DHCP pool, and then change the "Network Configuration" to "Unbridged". It would effectively be the same as plugging in a secondary router/AP.

I suppose you could also setup VLANs to allow the printer to work on both as well.

I must have done something slightly wrong when I tried w/ mine. Both wireless networks were still able to share files between them.

enaberif September 9, 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 548164)

Wasn't aware of this but that cuold work too.