Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2011, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Default How to Wi-Fi?

I have two desktop computers, 1 laptop & 2 iPods (1 desktop + 1 iPod mine; other pair is my wife's & laptop is shared). I am considering purchasing an iPad or clone. Now the iPods connect to the desktops using their dedicated USB cable. One desktop & the laptop are Windows 7 home premium sp1; the other desktop is Win 7 Pro sp1.
I am on adsl for internet. The modem is a combo modem/router (1 box). All the connections to the above hardware is via Cat 5 cable.

I want to add Wi-Fi to this setup but I want it to be on-demand; ie. plug in the Wi-Fi box when I need it & unplug it the rest of the time - sort of a modern update to a sneaker network. In other words, I want wi-fi capability only as required; I don't want it as a 'permanently on' feature. Can this be accomplished by adding a 2nd nic to each system as a plug-in point for the Wi-Fi? Alternately, could the wi-fi router be connected to the existing adsl router/modem using a downstream port? Any other workable solution(s)?
I have received various yes-no-maybes from local dealers.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't done it myself, but you could plug in a wireless card in one of your desktops as an access point, and your computer becomes a bridge. However, all wireless traffic will travel through this one computer.

Alternately, get a wireless N router and use it as your access point. Just turn off DHCP, so your main router assigns the IP addresses.

As for turning on/off the wireless access, I know the Asus RT-N16 can be set up to only allow wireless connections during a scheduled time, so I'm sure others can. Alternately, the power plug is your friend.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

on-demand wireless. I thought I heard it all up until now.

use a wireless router on a power bar as per above. does your modem/router combo box not come with wireless?
Old September 6, 2011, 07:23 AM
Rookie

You cannot connect a DSL line into a downstream port of a wireless router and just have it work like that. If you do not have anything plugged into the upstream port of a basic router, it will act as a switch with a single network. Since your modem and your other devices are not on the same network address-wise, they won't be able to communicate.

You can address that by having a more high end router where you can configure the hell out of VLANs and what not, but it doesn't look like what you're looking for.

You can connect the modem to another device, and that device into your wifi router - then the device what has the modem will need to do the routing. Depending what you're running on that device, it may or may not be easy to set this up.

Or you can just leave the wifi running all the time with a more typical router setup. What is your motivation for wanting it off? I'd hate to attempt to read morning news on the toilet only to realize I forgot to turn on the wifi ;)
Old September 6, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would just use WPA or greater security with a key longer than 8 characters..... something alphanumeric.

Security wise, it would take a very long time to break into a wireless that uses something like " !23WPaKEY " using brute force methods. Increase the length from there and the difficulty goes up exponentially..... and I mean years and to hundreds of years of effort.

At least one letter, one number, one special character and a caps change coupled with length and a password not found in the english dictionary (at least 8+ characters) makes the possibilities too many for someone to want to mess with.

To give you a rough estimate using distributed processing which is much faster than a single computer:

Quote:
Using All (Printable) ASCII characters IE: abcABC123!@#

1 to 4 characters length: 2 minutes
5 to 6 characters length: 9 days
7 to 8 characters length: 231 years
9 to 12 characters length: Completely pointless trying.
To help put that into perspective, a single CPU trying to crack a WPA passkey of 5 to 6 length with all printable characters would take 5 years instead of 9 days. However, the same length password as all numbers would only take 4 minutes.

However, if you're paranoid (which isn't a bad thing) and you still want to be able to turn it off then go buy yourself a cheap wireless router that supports WPA2 then configure it in a way so that it doesn't act as a router but instead just as a wireless access point that plugs into your existing router. You can then turn the router/access point off and on without affecting your main internet connection at all.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hasn't WPA cracking become quite a bit faster with CUDA? I know it's still not easy/fast though, but just sayin'

I usually use either this: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm or Strong Password Generator to generate my WPA2 keys. It's a bitch to enter into devices though where I can't just copy and paste from a text file.

But to get WiFi capability, just plugging in any WiFi router into one of the LAN ports on the original DSL/Router combo should be fine.
Old September 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For security can't you just use the mac address of the pc or what ever is going to access the router and also only turn on so many access points to the router. like at my place I have 2 pcs and a laptop which uses the wifi ,I have it set so that the laptop is the only thing that can connect wirelessly to my router od is the even less secure?
Old September 6, 2011, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
For security can't you just use the mac address of the pc or what ever is going to access the router and also only turn on so many access points to the router. like at my place I have 2 pcs and a laptop which uses the wifi ,I have it set so that the laptop is the only thing that can connect wirelessly to my router od is the even less secure?
That is the least secure way of running your WiFi...

MAC addresses are broadcasted and thus can be intercepted and spoofed VERY easily.
Old September 6, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hasn't WPA cracking become quite a bit faster with CUDA? I know it's still not easy/fast though, but just sayin'
That's why in my example above I used distributed processing. It's even faster than multiple video cards brute forcing the password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
You can turn your SSID off and use MAC filtering but it really only stops ignorant people. The type of people who would ever want to break into your wireless don't fall into that category.

It's about the equivalent of locking your doors with a convertible. With the top down.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

how many passwords per second?