Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Wireless is dead to me! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/46200-wireless-dead-me.html)

belgolas September 4, 2011 02:31 PM

Wireless is dead to me!

Well I just picked up 2 Trendnet TPL-303E2K 200MBPS Powerline AV Fast Ethernet Adapter Kit and it is AWESOME to say the least. Everywhere I have a power plug I can have Ethernet internet.

Setup is so simple and take less than a minute and bam you have ethernet everywhere.

I did some speed tests around the house and it is faster than my wireless as far as ping but the same download speeds as wireless when the wireless single is strong but if you are in an area where the wireless single is weak the powerline ethernet is faster.

I haven't tested file transfer over the network but I assume it will be a lot faster than wireless N.

Here is a great video that compares all 3 internet solutions.

Powerline vs Wireless vs Ethernet Networking (NCIX Tech Tips #52) - YouTube

roh_ultima September 4, 2011 02:53 PM

uh the speed is in the name

200 Mbps

thats how fast.
most wireless N is at least 150 Mbps, a big portion are 300 Mbps, some are 450 Mbps with a few at 600 Mbps
however walls and other things affect that speed

keep us updated, always good to hear about real life experience with new tech like this

belgolas September 4, 2011 03:08 PM

Here is something interesting. On wireless I download around 1.2-1.3 MB/s and now I am around 1.3-1.6 MB/s. Never get 1.6MB/s before.

LarkStarr September 4, 2011 03:49 PM

I'm gong to have to point out you're comparing a wireless technology to a wired one still. Wireless is still a lot more flexible and mobile then power line ethernet

belgolas September 5, 2011 03:55 AM

I am still keeping wireless for all the mobile devices but wired for all the computers.

Few things people should know is that powerline Ethernet is very dependent on your houses wiring. If you have a somewhat new house you will be fine. Also everything has to be on the same breaker box. This shouldn't matter for a house but may be a problem for some places. Your speed can also drop depending on what appliances are running, etc.

Just like all technologies it is it's pluses and minuses. This just saves a lot of work putting in Ethernet cables all over the house. Plus will be much faster than wireless if you have good wiring.

roh_ultima September 5, 2011 07:09 AM

what is your current wireless router ?

chrisk September 5, 2011 07:14 AM

Powerline is a great way to hook the network up. I use it for mostly PS3 (the PS3 wireless is terrible) and it works great for streaming video.

Linus September 5, 2011 12:42 PM

I LOVE powerline networking. It is the magical compromise between ethernet and wireless.

Wish there was a way to make more people understand the magic of powerline.

The cost of getting started is so high and especially with less tech-savvy people it's very hard to understand the concept/benefit though...

belgolas September 5, 2011 05:28 PM

Thanks Linus if it wasn't for you I wouldn't even know this magical technology exists. I was very skeptical even after watching your video as it seemed too good to be true but it isn't! Cost is pretty expensive. So far I have spent $200 on getting powerline adapters and around another $100 on gigabyte switches and cables. Setup time is minutes which would be FAR better than drilling holes in walls/floor joists and would be much cheaper if you include labor time.

So far everything has been great.

crazyhorsejohnny September 5, 2011 06:01 PM

So this might be a dumb question...........................You still need a router right? Can't just connect it straight to the modem and then the adapters where needed?