Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Recommend me a new router please !

Looks like i need a new router. My current one (DLINK DIR-655 Extreme N) keeps dropping. I read that many people have had that happen. Some even after just a few months. I've had mine for nearly 3 yrs so not bad I guess. Need a good one since the router will be in the basement and both rigs are on the 2nd floor (basement/main floor/2nd floor).
Old September 4, 2011, 05:53 AM
Trial Member

My recommendation would be for a router that you can put DD-WRT on. Swapping out the stock firmware for DD-WRT will provide you with a major boost to the functionality in your router. I use it on the Linksys E-3000 and it works fantastic. This is actually the third router I have used it with (all variations of Linksys) and can't say enough about how well it works. You can check to see if the router you are looking at is supported at their website (sorry, it won't let me post links yet)

Cheers
Old September 4, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Hammer View Post
My recommendation would be for a router that you can put DD-WRT on. Swapping out the stock firmware for DD-WRT will provide you with a major boost to the functionality in your router. I use it on the Linksys E-3000 and it works fantastic. This is actually the third router I have used it with (all variations of Linksys) and can't say enough about how well it works. You can check to see if the router you are looking at is supported at their website (sorry, it won't let me post links yet)

Cheers
x2 for DD-WRT, Tomato is also a good choice. If it doesn't support one or the other, or both, don't buy it. I've had excellent luck with Tomato myself, Linksys 54GL was extremely stable. It became a bit dated with wireless G and 100mbps ports. I upgraded to a ASUS N16 and have had a great experience with it as well. It doesn't seem to be quite as good as the 54GL, but still much better than any dlink I've had.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend the WNDR3700. It's been absolutely perfect for me with dual-band 802.11n as well. Usually goes for $100 at NCIX.

And I have a DIR-655 as well and yes it was a piece of garbage under heavy load. I use it as a secondary AP now in my living room for "G"-only devices.
Old September 4, 2011, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I recently upgraded to an ASUS RT-N16 and put TomatoUSB firmware on it. The firmware installation was an easy process and the router performs very well, more so than the D-Link I had previously. No complaints at all, so I can certainly recommend this router/firmware combination.

The only possible issue is that the RT-N16 does not have dual band support. Not sure if that might be a problem for you.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Hammer View Post

Cheers
What is DD-WRT?
Old September 5, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"What is DD-WRT?"
DD-WRT is the firmware that can run on routers
Old September 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Asus RT-N16 gets my vote
Old September 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Rookie

i recommend DLINK DIR 825. It has two separate chipsets inside, 1 for 5Ghz range and 1 for 2.4ghz range. You an assign different ESSID to each one and have different machines connect to both these networks. The upside of this is that they are completely segregated and you don't share the speed unlike with many other wireless routers. If I start downloading a file at 11mbps and then begin to download another file on the other essid, the connection does not drop and I get 13MB/s on the 5ghz and around 7MB/s on the 2.4ghz simultaneously.

Last edited by zaza101; September 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also recommend the Netgear WNDR3700. Since I've had it, I've had 0 problems, there's not much else to say.