LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2011, 09:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Angry Rogers HSPA rocket hub speed. Not sure why Rocket is in its name at all

This should sum it up nicely....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1455177501.png

Only $65 bux a month for 10GB for this garbage. Will be buying out the remainder of my contract and moving on. I get so mad when these companies get major subsidies to bring high speed to rural areas and this is what we get. Super expensive terrible service.

What chokes me even more is ADSL is about 1.5 KM from me and I cannot get anyone from Telus to even talk to me about getting service brought this way. They even had the gaul to ask why I dropped their dial-up for HSPA. I am willing to canvas the area to see how many people are interested. I am positive it would be almost everyone...
Old August 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
MVP
F@H

What area are you in? Look to see if someone does a fixed wireless service in your area. The mine I work for had that done because Telus can't be bothered running cables a few KM out to us, but someone in town has dish that fires the Telus signal over for us.
Old August 29, 2011, 05:11 AM
Top Prospect

I always assumed the name was in tribute to the classic Canadian rockabilly band the Razorbacks, and their song 'Rocket'. The theme about not being able to keep any money in your pocket seemed apt anyway.
Old August 29, 2011, 05:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Turtletax, you are aware that most the lines that get run to rural places are usually by Bell Canada or sometimes rogers. All telus does is rent the line from either of them, they never install any themselves.
Old August 29, 2011, 01:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And since you "live in the middle of nowhere", you probably have very poor 3G/HSPA coverage (probably not even HSPA at all).

On my SGS in Toronto, I can pull anywhere from ~5Mbps down to ~4Mbps up. That's HSPA on Bell's network and what you should be seeing if it was a solid HSPA connection, or faster for that matter since your modem would be in a fixed location.

I personally find Roger's network to be a bit slower compared to Bell's, at least here in Toronto.

Have you tried relocating the "Rocket Hub"? Closer to a window? Higher up? Outside?
Old August 29, 2011, 02:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Turtletax, you are aware that most the lines that get run to rural places are usually by Bell Canada or sometimes rogers. All telus does is rent the line from either of them, they never install any themselves.
While that might be true back east, in BC and Alberta Telus owns the lines and does their own installs, dating back to the BC Tel days.

Back OT, there may be a broadband wireless ISP in your area. My parents live on a mountain, and have the dish mounted there that hits most of Chilliwack (and get free internet for letting the ISP use the sundeck post to mount a small dish).
Old August 29, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ what sugar said, i live in chwk and theres a few wisps here and we arent exactly rural
Old August 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you might want to hard reset it from time to time. if no go contact their tech dept and tell them you have slow speed. if you have the ericsson w35 you might want to check if there is a firmware update also. invite a friend with an iphone or anything else that allows tethering and tether it see how fast you get in the same location. if possible with another Rogers device.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I exhausted every outlet before going with 3G/HSPA. I have an acreage with 80-100 ft spruce trees. While being one of the things I really love about my place it simultaneously screws me out of any fixed wireless services without shelling large for a tower to get above them. And everyone knows satellite is not an option.

When I got my rocket hub I ran a speed test and was getting around 3Mbps. I was pretty stocked actually. Other than the terrible download cap and overage fees thereafter, I could live with the speeds. It has just been slowly getting worse and worse.

I have tried every location I can in my house and have tried hard resets and even read that it has DNS issues so I swapped that and it helped the dropouts, just the last straw is the speed. My neighbor has the same set-up as me with Rogers and hates it. Not exactly sure what he gets for speeds but I should find out.

According to tower information I am 8km from a tower and that is not terrible, I guess they have just oversold bandwidth? I will try to see if they will swap modems and see if that helps (the thing gets retarded hot) and then will swap to another provider.

Sugar is right. Telus does own the lines and does thier own trenching, but try and get a sentient being on the phone that even understands what you are talking about when you tell them your whole neighborhood would get ADSL if you brought it. Just too bad. They even asked what they could do to keep me as a dial-up customer. I had to laugh at that one
Old August 31, 2011, 03:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Instead of a tower you could always install the dish on a tall tree.