Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   DD-WRT fine tuning (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/45962-dd-wrt-fine-tuning.html)

The Quicken August 27, 2011 11:09 PM

DD-WRT fine tuning

6 Attachment(s)
Did my first DD-WRT flash on my old WRT310n v2 Linksys, used
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini

I was using a Linksys USB AE1000 wifi adapter (worked better than i could hope) but I wanted to play with dd-wrt.

I'm using the router (dd-wrt) as a wireless client bridge, but maybe it's me but it dos'nt seem as fast as the USB adapter believe it or not.

PC is portwarded to Primary Router (SMC Wireless gateway). everything is working as it should be. Any little things I could play with in the dd-wrt to improve wireless speed?

Some pics to hopefully help.

_dangtx_ August 27, 2011 11:38 PM

use the router as the one and only device, both wired and wireless.

check for..issues?

are you torrenting?

these guys hit a cap, and that depends on the fw version,and probably actually very probably hard ware version too

smart to filter mac addresses.

oh yeah, and keep things disabled if you dont need them.

some people have success overclocking the cpu. some not. i usually leave it alone or down a notch(runs a tad cooler but albeit,slower)

geokilla August 28, 2011 06:17 AM

Upgrade to the latest firmware. That is so old.

SharpieTM August 28, 2011 09:00 AM

In the "Wireless" section, under Advanced, you could make sure you are using the full bandwidth of wireless N (making it use 40Mhz, instead of just 20Mhz. Your neighbors might hate you for it though :biggrin:)

Wireless-N Configuration - DD-WRT Wiki

Overclocking the CPU won't give you much more throughput, unless you are torrenting (uses a LOT of CPU). You could on the other hand try to bump up the mW on the output power. Use that with care too, since just like overclocking, you could be shortening your device's life span. The design of your router is fairly bad for overclocking/power increasing. It's already got heat issues: Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Also, keep in mind that location, location, location is very important. You can't change the antenna, so you need to keep it in a good spot.

lowfat August 28, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 544677)
Upgrade to the latest firmware. That is so old.

How is V24 SP2 considered old when it is the newest version they offer?

The Quicken, I thought the V2 WRT310n isn't supported yet? It still shows WIP on the DDWRT website.

misterd August 28, 2011 11:11 AM

everything that is WIP is ususally supported, you just have to dig through the forums to get a firmware rather then what's listed in the extremely out of data router database. I've done a few 310n v2 and it was at least a year ago.

lowfat August 28, 2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterd (Post 544753)
everything that is WIP is ususally supported, you just have to dig through the forums to get a firmware rather then what's listed in the extremely out of data router database. I've done a few 310n v2 and it was at least a year ago.

:thumb:

Good to know.

geokilla August 28, 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 544735)
How is V24 SP2 considered old when it is the newest version they offer?

The Quicken, I thought the V2 WRT310n isn't supported yet? It still shows WIP on the DDWRT website.

The latest ones can be found here. Just cus it's newer doesn't necessarily means it's better, but they are definitely better than what you're using right now.

Other Downloads | www.dd-wrt.com

JD August 28, 2011 05:26 PM

You ACK timing is set way too low as well I believe.

But as others have said, do update to a newer build. Something from this year at least ;)

The Quicken August 28, 2011 07:54 PM

@ JD-- I actually lost my primary router signal bc of the ack Im assuming, only thing i changed at the time(turned it down to just to see). Put it back to default.

I was wrong when I said everything worked as b4, I can no longer RDT to PC (LAN). Not sure why, SPI firewall on Client Bridge Router maybe?

Upgrading hardware is a must for sure, I just wanted to 'pop' my Dd-WRT 'cherry' on something I didn't care about bricking lol.

Need something for Serious speed, torrenting, media streaming & RDT/FTP.