Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need some quick network suggestions

Let's start with what I've got set up now. Don't remember the model of modem I have, but I know it's DOCSiS 3.0 and I have the router part disabled. Wireless devices are in the pink box. The right half of the picture is in my room (starting at the switch) at the back of the house, the left part is in the front of the house. I could probably google this a bit but I'm friggin tired and lazy right now.

So here's where the question comes in. One of the PS3's and my phone are used in the back of the house. The wireless signal is flaky at best back here, lucky to keep one bar on my phone, if anything. I was wondering what I would need to get a good signal back here. I assume I need another piece of hardware (router)?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 25, 2011, 12:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how far away is the router from the modem? you could use the router as a signal repeater from the wireless signal from the router/modem combo and you wouldn't have to buy any more hardware. you could also buy a directional antenna, or build one yourself with tinfoil and cardboard. If neither of those works then i suppose you could buy a cheap DDWRT compatible router and set it to repeat your routers signal somewhere in between your bedroom and the router.
Old August 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

add another (completely different) access point and plug it into your trendnet switch

or buy higher gain antennas for your DD-WRT box. (probably not removable antennas?)

or buy another WRT-150N and make a repeater out of one. (repeater? hrmm. I'm ending a 15 hour shift so I'm not really sure what the right name is right now)

If the DD-WRT router is at the front of the house and everything that needs to connect wirelessly is behind it then you may be able to use a directional antenna as well.

Edit: wow, talk about getting ninja'd.
Old August 25, 2011, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The modem is just a wired modem/router, no wireless. There is no option for a repeater, nowhere to put it besides the bathroom and my parent's wouldn't be happy with that. Antennas are non-removable sadly. As for the tin foil thing, I guess I could give a shot at that again. Last time I did that was with a POS DLink G router and it didn't do a whole lot.

Seems like if worst comes to worst, buy a second router and stick it after the switch?
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old August 25, 2011, 12:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That'd work, just remember to disable DHCP on the second router.
Old August 25, 2011, 04:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well your first problem is how massive your computer is due to everything else on the network, its eating up all the 1s and 0s.

On a serious note you can easily set up a second router to repeat/broadcast your network to reach different areas of the house the original router can't reach. When I was living in fredericton we actually had 3 routers doing exactly this (older house, expanded twice so there were some solid walls wifi had trouble getting through). The two routers that were repeating the signals were set up to do exactly just this, 1 had DHCP disable, while the other just created a second sub-network which everyone on there could still access/communicate to it.
Old August 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would get something like this:
Powerline Networking | Canada Computers

I have a Linksys setup that is not selling anymore, but its has been very reliable for my PS3. I found that the PS3 had crappy wireless anyways, and always dropped a connection when streaming video even if the laptop had a great connection (and sitting next to the PS3).
Fold for team #54196
Old August 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guess I should have specified, the PS3 actually has no issues. It's my phone that has trouble with the connection. I don't use my phone often, it's just that I want to actually be able to use it when I want to. So far looks like I'm getting a router put in after my switch and turning off DHCP.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used