Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   DD-WRT Routers (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/45599-dd-wrt-routers.html)

The Quicken August 12, 2011 12:23 PM

DD-WRT Routers
 
Need 3 strong suggestions for router manufacturer/model# for Routers I can flash with DD-WRT, need the CLIENT option to use this router to connect PC wireless to my primary wireless router.

I know ASUS is strong but would be interested in a Linksys/Cisco model if I can.

Shadowmeph August 12, 2011 12:28 PM

what type of wireless Do you need or want? I have been using and older router that uses wireless G and I have never had any problems with it it is a Linksys/Cisco wrt 54gl but it is an older model

The Quicken August 12, 2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 540538)
what type of wireless Do you need or want? I have been using and older router that uses wireless G and I have never had any problems with it it is a Linksys/Cisco wrt 54gl but it is an older model

I always prefer dual band, as far as speed go, my DL is pushing 100mbs with 5mbs UL.

Needs to keep up with PC Torrenting whilst my roommate (or myself) accessing my Media library (Streaming/DL'ing HD MKV videos)

In short, it needs to be fast and strong.

Currently have a Linksys USB WiFi adaptor that is doing the job fine, but I'm going to be adding another PC that I want to connect to this new router as well in my room.

The Quicken August 12, 2011 12:41 PM

Been looking at this--

Linksys Max Performance Wireless N Dual Band Router (E4200-CA) : Wireless N Routers - Best Buy Canada

Not sure about price or DD-WRT compatibility.

ilya August 12, 2011 12:47 PM

I'm assuming your requirements are: dual band, gigabit, usb port, dd-wrt compatible, linksys/cisco brand.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys Expert E3000-CA Dual Band 802.11N Wireless N Router - Linksys - E3000-CA - in Canada

I'm also assuming you don't need a ton of range since you're sharing your residence. This router has 6 internal antennas, but the problem is they're internal.

EDIT: the e4200 is still in a beta stage in terms of dd-wrt compatiblity, the e3000 is slightly more mature.

Linksys E4200 - DD-WRT Wiki

Linksys E3000 - DD-WRT Wiki

The Quicken August 12, 2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 540542)
I'm assuming your requirements are: dual band, gigabit, usb port, dd-wrt compatible, linksys/cisco brand.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys Expert E3000-CA Dual Band 802.11N Wireless N Router - Linksys - E3000-CA - in Canada

I'm also assuming you don't need a ton of range since you're sharing your residence. This router has 6 internal antennas, but the problem is they're internal.

EDIT: the e4200 is still in a beta stage in terms of dd-wrt compatiblity, the e3000 is slightly more mature.

Linksys E4200 - DD-WRT Wiki

Linksys E3000 - DD-WRT Wiki

Thankyou very much! I think I might go with the E4200, if I don't like it I'll just return it. That's what I like most about BestBuy, I get ZERO problems with return items.

E3000 is $139.00 at FutureShop right now.

ilya August 12, 2011 01:05 PM

You can typically PM the E3000 to ~$100, just do a search on shopbot/pricebat/etc.

The Quicken August 12, 2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 540547)
You can typically PM the E3000 to ~$100, just do a search on shopbot/pricebat/etc.

I use shopbot frequently, so I can price match at Best Buy lol.

Once again, Ty for a prompt, informed reply. :thumb:

JD August 12, 2011 03:35 PM

My other choice would be the Netgear WNDR3700. No complaints with mine running DD-WRT.

moocow August 12, 2011 03:37 PM

I have an E3000 and I tried using DD-WRT but it kept locking up or crashing. Can't remember the firmware number but for sure it wasn't a beta. Too bad Tomato didn't make one for E3000.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM.