Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Running Network Cables.

Hey Guys,

Have a simple question about running network cables that I am arguing with my head office over.

Heres the scenario,

I need to run (3) Cables approx 50' away from switch, and (1) cable 100' from switch.

My plan is to simply have the cables cut appropriate lengths and have ends crimped directly on the cable

device <->Cable<->switch

The network "guru" at the office says to run the cables terminate in keystone boxes, then run patch cables to the devices? ...My question is WHY?
Device<->patch cable <-> box <->cable <-> box <->patch cable<-> switch

Hopefully you guys can tell me if he is just blowing smoke. As far as running the cables and possibly replacing them if there are faults, Is not a problem as the cables will just be run through a hung ceiling. so replacing them isn't as difficult as if they were run through walls.

Thanks for the comments!
Old June 27, 2011, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

He's just suggesting the proper way of doing things, however it's fine just running a patch cable from the router/switch to your PC. That's how my house is too as it's just easier.

By having wall mounted jacks, it just looks more professional and I suppose could help resale value of your home in the future.
Old June 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
Banned
F@H

i think 300 feet would be a good limit,so 100 is ok.

especially with decent switches.

as for the look of things,well hidden away in the walls looks nice ,sure.
Old June 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

this is going to be done in a rural convenience/grocery store, which is over 65 years old and as it is right now, cables run down the office wall,aesthetics aren't necessary. Thats what i had figured he was doing was just suggesting the proper way. But in a rural setting, in a building which is this age. The extra cost doesnt warrant the price. ( They quoted over $700).
Old June 27, 2011, 01:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You should be fine with your original plans.

I my house I was renting with some people we ran cables all over the place, using either gigabit switches, standard switch, or even a router acting as a switch to allow us to network all over the two story building with no latency/network issues at all.
Old June 27, 2011, 01:18 PM
Banned
F@H

question is, what are your router,switches configs looking like? :)
Old June 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Will be a 16 port switch with a Cisco business router ...needed for access for the company's server ...I'm not a network guy at all, I can do my own household stuff but when it comes to configuration and business end stuff I'm lost
Old June 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You are fine doing what you planned. You could even spend $30 on something like this: Legrand Wiremold | Plastic CordMate II Kit White | Home Depot Canada

This will make it prettier if you want to tuck the wire away.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You're fine doing it your way. As previously mentioned, the network tech's suggestion is based on corporate setups that require a certain level of network structure. This would typically include a server room, patch panel etc.. For your single site grocery store, you won't need a set up like that unless you run a lot of networked computers.

FYI: Maximum point to point connection length on network cable is 100 metres. (328 feet) This is the same length certified across all categories of UTP as far as I'm aware. This distance is measured from signal source to destination. Any repeater, switch or router would 'reset' that distance. So as long as your switch is with 100 metres of each individual device, you're fine.
Old June 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks guys....much appreciated...Hopefully things go well, and I know where to come if I have more troubles! Cheers!

*edit..(off tobic) man I gotta get a avatar put on here soon..lol