Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming the corporate "gods" don't mind, you could easily do this yourself with store bought cables and save a ton of money.

However, running it to keystone jacks rather than just crimping the end directly should not cost any more money. It's a similar amount of labour required and the parts shouldn't add much to the price.

Another cheap solution, if you already have drops at these locations (or nearby) just pickup a switch and hook it up. That will allow you to add additional PCs without running extra cable back to the main switch.
Old June 27, 2011, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The companies I know typically charge $75 bucks per termination, (plus materials), plus a cost per foot for running cable. They test, certify, label all ends, stand behind their work, and corp is more than happy to pay for it!

Do yourself a favor and listen to what the guy is recommending, by avoiding his recommendation you are cutting corners which happens way too often in IT, resulting in issues, troubleshooting costs, reliability issues, and eventually downtime. The savings on the initial bill will evaporate, and the proud feeling of a job done on a tight budget will one-day be replaced by the lame feeling of a job cheaply done to poor quality and non-standards. Where's the value then?
Old June 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

But at the same time, if you can do part of the work, it's probably advisable.

They just renovated the lab at my workplace and it would of cost an additional $5000 to remove all the existing network cables. Instead we did the work in a couple hours and saved all that money.