Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
Rookie

Default would I benifit with this router?

Hi,
I have a linksys G router now, with service from Rogers with 10mbps download, and 512 kmps for upload speed.
when I play games like Black Ops or Bad Company 2 on my Xbox, I notice a lot of lag/lentacy.
and when I play Bad Company 2 on my PC, I usually join servers with about 55ping, and once I'm in the game, my ping is around 115.
so if I buy Linksys Expert E2000 or D-Link DIR-655, would I benifit from them?
or I won't see much differences compare to what I have now?

thanks in advance.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't buy either of those routers but depending on how old your router is it could just either need a possible firmware update or firmware change.
Old June 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

~100 ping is fairly common in BF:BC2 I find, so I wouldn't worry much.

In your case, I think the main issue might be your upload speed.

Have you tried directly connecting the modem to your PC/XBOX and seeing how the lag/latency is? That will isolate if it's the router or not.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
~100 ping is fairly common in BF:BC2 I find, so I wouldn't worry much.

In your case, I think the main issue might be your upload speed.

Have you tried directly connecting the modem to your PC/XBOX and seeing how the lag/latency is? That will isolate if it's the router or not.

^^
This, for starters.

Secondly, how is your Xbox connected to your router? If it's via WiFi having a G router is not preferable (slower speed & interference).

Portforwarding would be a good idea as well. A must if your using wireless.

Ports:

53 - 80 - 3074 should all be both TCP/UDP
Port 88 is UDP

Or just throw your Xbox in your DMZ.

10mbps download, and 512 while sufficient for XBL gaming (you only need 2.14 mbs quantified...WETF that means) it is not optimal by any means.

In online FPS anything approaching Ping of 80ms starting to become unplayable IMO.
Upstream Bandwidth is a must have/want. My current Upload is 5mbs (with 100mbs down) and I'm not always happy... can't wait untill my ISP upgrades me to 15mbs upload in the fall

Last edited by The Quicken; June 22, 2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old June 22, 2011, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
^^
This, for starters.

Secondly, how is your Xbox connected to your router? If it's via WiFi having a G router is not preferable (slower speed & interference).

Portforwarding would be a good idea as well. A must if your using wireless.

Ports:

53 - 80 - 3074 should all be both TCP/UDP
Port 88 is UDP

Or just throw your Xbox in your DMZ.

10mbps download, and 512 while sufficient for XBL gaming (you only need 2.14 mbs quantified...WETF that means) it is not optimal by any means.

In online FPS anything approaching Ping of 80ms starting to become unplayable IMO.
Upstream Bandwidth is a must have/want. My current Upload is 5mbs (with 100mbs down) and I'm not always happy... can't wait untill my ISP upgrades me to 15mbs upload in the fall

Grrr, so.. much.. hate :). Wish we could get those speeds here in ontario. Honestly if your linksys is compatible with dd-wrt or tomato try loading one of those first to see how performance is.

Old June 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Urr you don't need to open ports for gaming... You only need to open ports if your running a server. You'll notice no difference in ping times by opening up any ports.
Old June 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Urr you don't need to open ports for gaming... You only need to open ports if your running a server. You'll notice no difference in ping times by opening up any ports.
I politely disagree, for XBL opening ports ensures OPEN NAT, open NAT puts you in a better position to get Host (obviously other network related factors are involved).

If your Host, how much will you care about your ping then?
Old June 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
I politely disagree, for XBL opening ports ensures OPEN NAT, open NAT puts you in a better position to get Host (obviously other network related factors are involved).

If your Host, how much will you care about your ping then?
If he's on Rogers, depending on the game, he most definitely doesn't want to be host..... any game which uses a P2P for hosting stands a good chance of being throttled once the system recognizes the bandwidth as being P2P. (Unless they've fixed that in the last year, but I doubt it).

We (they, as I'm no longer with them... ;) ) had major issues with a couple of Xbox games which would auto assign the host to the rogers account based on connection speeds, only to have everybody kicked off once the throttling kicked in.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If he's on Rogers, depending on the game, he most definitely doesn't want to be host..... any game which uses a P2P for hosting stands a good chance of being throttled once the system recognizes the bandwidth as being P2P. (Unless they've fixed that in the last year, but I doubt it).

We (they, as I'm no longer with them... ;) ) had major issues with a couple of Xbox games which would auto assign the host to the rogers account based on connection speeds, only to have everybody kicked off once the throttling kicked in.

That's insane--you would think you would need to breach your cap b4 u were throttled.
Old June 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope.... p2p is throttled just for being p2p no matter what amount of cap you have left. Best I could figure was that it was throttled based on overall area usage... as in, if nobody else in your area was doing p2p then no problems, once overall p2p usage hits a certain percentage of available bandwidth (let's say 30% just as a guess) in the area, throttling kicks in automatically to ensure that p2p usage doesn't drop non-p2p available bandwidth below 70%.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP