Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Recommendations for a new Wireless Router (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/44269-recommendations-new-wireless-router.html)

Smoothie June 19, 2011 07:09 AM

Recommendations for a new Wireless Router

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded to Shaw's Broadband 100 package which is 100 mbps down and 5 mbps up (sometime in fall up will go to 10 mbps up for free). Anyways, I noticed with my Linksys WRT160N im getting about 60 mbps down and 4.2 mbps up running speed tests. I realized that Shaw's new Docsis 3 modems are running a gig network for the ethernet. The WRT160N I have is 10/100 only. When I have the modem isolated to one PC, I get about 88-95 mbps down and 4.8 mbps up. Currently all my cables are already cat6 so im ready for a gig network at home and was wondering if anyone can recommend me a new wireless router.

I have been reading a ton of user and "professional" reviews and the ones im most interested in are:
- Netgear WNDR3700
- Linksys Expert E3200-CA
- ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond

If anyone here has experience with the above routers, please list the pros/cons and your thoughts on it. Thanks everyone, there is so many options I just want to get the best out of my money. http://www.evga.com/forums/upfiles/smiley/001_cool.gif

Perineum June 19, 2011 08:29 AM

All those are great, providing you are going to use the manufacturer's firmware....

However, the WNDR3700 can use DD-WRT and the Asus N16 can as well both will do 100mbit fine. The WNDR3700 is faster however but lacks external antennas, if that's important to you.

chrisk June 19, 2011 08:46 AM

I have the next Netgear (WNDR4000) for about a week and like it so far. Too early to say much.

That Asus looked good too when I was researching. The tech at Canada Computers reported to me that their customers seemed pretty happy with the Asus you were looking at and he could not recall anybody returning one, despite decent sales.

Perineum June 19, 2011 08:50 AM

If your balls have shrunk up into your lower intestine and you live in fear of firmware flashing then you should probably just get the netgear or linksys, right ChrisK?

chrisk June 19, 2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 525892)
If your balls have shrunk up into your lower intestine and you live in fear of firmware flashing then you should probably just get the netgear or linksys, right ChrisK?

Haha yep! No worries though I'll get the nerve to try again (when I grow up)

JD June 19, 2011 09:24 AM

I'd go with the WNDR3700. I had a RT-N16 before but the wireless performance was absolutely terrible (was running DD-WRT).

This WNDR3700 is night-and-day in comparison. 10MB/s on WiFi (2.4GHz or 5GHz N) definitely is feasible in a large portion of my house. The ASUS at most was able to hit 6MB/s.

I run DD-WRT on my WNDR as well though. The Netgear firmware GUI is pretty dated IMO but it should be okay for normal usage.

If you don't want the WNDR3700, then I'd go with the Cisco E4200 (not 3200) as it offers similar performance. They use very similar components actually just that the E4200 costs a fair bit more ;)

enaberif June 19, 2011 10:14 AM

I have a Asus N16 running Oleg firmware and the router is flawless even wireless and never have any issues.

ilya June 19, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 525895)
I'd go with the WNDR3700. I had a RT-N16 before but the wireless performance was absolutely terrible (was running DD-WRT).

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 525905)
I have a Asus N16 running Oleg firmware and the router is flawless even wireless and never have any issues.

I've found the RT-N16 to have great wireless performance, but only up to about 60' where afterwards performance drops off substantially.

enaberif June 19, 2011 02:12 PM

Range of wireless is really a cat and mouse game where depending on what is between you and the router can substantially cut the range down.

kongfoo911 June 20, 2011 12:01 PM

I'll +1 vote for the Netgear WNDR3700.