Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have to say is, if you plan on loading DD-WRT on any "supported" routers, just beware that there are some that have lots of compatibility and feature issues connected with some routers. Just look up their wiki and make sure that there aren't known issues with the DD-WRT firmware for your specific router.

That said, actually having used the WNDR3700, I can recommend it, but the ASUS is definitely interesting because of the wireless power and routing power it throws out (though it suffers from horrible user controls).
Old June 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks for the feedback everyone, i appreciate it. i dont plan on using custom firmware so im thinking of going with the asus or netgear. not sure quite yet :p

sorry for the lack of grammar, im using my phone for this post and its a pain to properly write something.

Old June 24, 2011, 07:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I still can't make my mind up, if anyone is using the Asus Black Diamond and WNDR3700 can you take some screen shots of the gui for me to look at? Hopefully it will help me choose between the two.

Old June 24, 2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

Netgear WNDR3700 - DD-WRT Wiki

Asus RT-N16 - DD-WRT Wiki

This are my choices if buying a router:

Netgear WNR3500L - DD-WRT Wiki

or the Asus RT-N16

I guess there's not really any decent routers < $50????
Old June 25, 2011, 03:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have the same package (it's going up to 15mbs Upload in the fall, not 10).

Um, why not just pay the extra $4 or $5 a month rental and get the SMC wireless gateway model? Modem and Router combined. Works great, you have access to the router part and your speeds should be fine.

My desktop in my room has a Linksys AE1000 USB WiFi adapter and I pull Speedtests of 90mbs down and 4.80mbs upload.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some people prefer having their own hardware, especially ones with lots of control....
Old June 25, 2011, 04:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Some people prefer having their own hardware, especially ones with lots of control....
For sure, I wouldn't have bothered posting except I noticed He said he was not going with custom firmware....
Old June 25, 2011, 07:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I hear more bad things about those SMC modem+router combos than I do good...plus you end up continuously paying for it and eventually you've "paid it off" but still have to keep paying.

But I guess it all depends on your network load. If you aren't torrenting and stuff, then it's likely alright.
Old June 25, 2011, 07:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I hear more bad things about those SMC modem+router combos than I do good...plus you end up continuously paying for it and eventually you've "paid it off" but still have to keep paying.

But I guess it all depends on your network load. If you aren't torrenting and stuff, then it's likely alright.

I'm curious about the bad you've heard of? I do alot of torrenting off mine without any problems yet.

What sort of issues have you heard about?
Old June 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using the 56U for a month now. What an upgrade from the DIR-655. Powerful dual bands, wireless is not an issue anymore. Only concern? The side-mounted ports....

GUI shots: ASUS RT-N56U Dual Band Gigabit Wireless N Router Review - Setup and WebUI :: TweakTown USA Edition