Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Need quick advice on wireless routers....

Look s like my trusty old Linksys router is dead. I am looking at getting a replacement.

I am thinking of getting this:
WNDR4000

Is Netgear any good? I like this router as it has USB storage, and it seems to have a bandwidth usage tracker (I have Teksavvy, and right now they don't have a way to monitor bandwidth usage...I need to keep track of how much Netflix uses on the PS3).

If this router is no good, is there another? I need USB storade, and would like to monitor bandwidth usage. Not interested in DD-WRT.

Thanks!
Fold for team #54196
Old June 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

its ok,but i dont think itll own the linskys in stability(with ddrt).

range etc yeah maybe.

a bit pricey too.

i would check out the asus ones. which one? well, if your budget is over 100 bucks like for this one?

then perhaps...

Newegg.ca - ASUS,router

flip the coin on the fw though :D
Old June 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you need the dual band? If not, get the Asus N16 and put DD-WRT on it. Works very well. Very quick. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Networks- ASUS RT-N16

If you need the dual band get the Netgear WNDR3700. It's even faster but does not have external antennas (if you even care). WNDR3700

Either way, get something that runs DDWRT or Tomato. Stock firmwares tend to suck.
Old June 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Bought an Asus RT-N56U 2 weeks ago when it was on special to replace a dying DIR-655 (after 4 years of use and abuse...). The 56 is holding pretty good, no dropped signals, dual bands, dual USB ports and the network tracking you want.
Old June 14, 2011, 04:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Bought an Asus RT-N56U 2 weeks ago when it was on special to replace a dying DIR-655 (after 4 years of use and abuse...). The 56 is holding pretty good, no dropped signals, dual bands, dual USB ports and the network tracking you want.
I was looking at that one too and I could not find any confirmation that it logs all traffic and counts bandwidth used. Can you confirm that it counts all internet bandwidth used? (or screenie....).

I don't want to go DD-WRT route as I have bricked a router in the past and the wifr will kill me if I do it again lol.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 14, 2011, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I was looking at that one too and I could not find any confirmation that it logs all traffic and counts bandwidth used. Can you confirm that it counts all internet bandwidth used? (or screenie....).

I don't want to go DD-WRT route as I have bricked a router in the past and the wifr will kill me if I do it again lol.
I have the RT-N16 which uses the same UI and it doesn't log the amount of bandwidth used.

Reviews of the product can confirm it: ASUS RT-N56U Dual Band Gigabit Wireless N Router Review - Setup and WebUI :: TweakTown USA Edition

If you want to monitor the amount of bandwidth used, I don't know of any feasible options but DD-WRT/Tomato.
Old June 14, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
If you don't need/want the external antennas then get the netgear model I listed above.... then RTFM and grow a pair and use DD-WRT

It will be good enough for running 250mbit+ and it's got the logging you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The RT-N56U is a fast router and if it's firmware really does what you need then you can't really go wrong with that level of horsepower.
Old June 14, 2011, 06:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I taught that was the network usage?

What I do find odd is that it shows the last month's usage as a single day (the 13th). Weird...
Also, for 110$ on special, I said Why not...
Old June 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
MVP

I have an Asus N16 and recommend it very highly if you don't need dual band. This of course is with Tomato USB installed as the original firmware blows. Fantastic overbuilt & overspec'd hardware for a router.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old June 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have the N16 as well and running some odd ball firmware and it works really well.

If you REALLY want to keep an eye on your traffic build a machine and setup Alien Vault or of the such.