Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Help me pick a 5/8 port switch (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/43988-help-me-pick-5-8-port-switch.html)

Blu June 6, 2011 11:55 PM

Help me pick a 5/8 port switch

I don't know what type of switch I need/want yet so far I have all this in the living room to connect to it,

HTPC
Unraid server
couple small NAS servers
wii
xbox 360
ps3
Living room PC
Possible folding rigs x2-4 if I really get into it I'll probably go crazy on these

My other 3 ports on the router will be taken and used right at the source by my pc bed room xbox, If I can get a USB to Ethernet port addon thing? I got about 6 external hard drives that would be lovely if put on my network. Does anyone know of anything like that by any chance? Thanks for any help in advance, looking forward to making this a awesome little project.

Perineum June 7, 2011 12:05 AM

get a 8 port trendnet / netgear

kingnubian June 7, 2011 07:52 AM

I have a Trendnet Green gigabit switch and am very very happy with it. The best you can say about this device is it's "Set & Forget" and the Trendnet Green gigabit switch is just that.

Neolithium_Wpg June 7, 2011 07:56 AM

I would go with a Netgear GS108TNA

Arinoth June 7, 2011 08:01 AM

Make sure to get a gigabit switch, I've been quite happy with my dlink one though i got that on discount years ago

misterd June 7, 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 522258)
Make sure to get a gigabit switch, I've been quite happy with my dlink one though i got that on discount years ago

DGS-1008D right? that's what I have too. However for the question being asked it looks like you might need more then 8 ports. I guess it depends where you're putting all this and how everything is wired.

Arinoth June 7, 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterd (Post 522278)
DGS-1008D right? that's what I have too. However for the question being asked it looks like you might need more then 8 ports. I guess it depends where you're putting all this and how everything is wired.

Yep that exact one, been using it for years now without ever having an issue with it.

MARSTG June 7, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingnubian (Post 522252)
I have a Trendnet Green gigabit switch

which model?

Nexitus June 7, 2011 11:34 AM

I just bought a 5-port Mikrotik Switch, gonna test that out and see how it goes. For the price, it is one of the most feature packed switch you can buy. Coming from a Dell 2724, I think its gonna be a little more practical for a small home network.

Neolithium_Wpg June 7, 2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexitus (Post 522325)
I just bought a 5-port Mikrotik Switch, gonna test that out and see how it goes. For the price, it is one of the most feature packed switch you can buy. Coming from a Dell 2724, I think its gonna be a little more practical for a small home network.

I forgot about Mikrotik. They're supposed to be rather outstanding for the price you pay.