Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2011, 07:36 AM
Rookie

Default internet service options

hi,

I have a question on choosing internet service.
I've been using rogers express, which gives 10Mbps for download and 512 Kbps for upload.
for the past year or so, it seems I have more lagging problem when playing FPS games like COD or bad company 2.
so do you think I should upgrade to better service, if so, to what level, or the service option is fine, I should start looking at other aspect, such as my router or sth?

thanks.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

by lagging what do you means, do you check the ping of the servers you are connecting ?
Old June 3, 2011, 08:04 AM
Rookie

I play on Xbox live most of the time, and I've played a little of Bad Company 2 on PC lately, and my ping is around 70(I don't think my experience on PC is a good presentation to address my internet problem since I don't have a good gaming PC right now).
by lagging, I mean delay between what I saw happening is not matching with what happens. such as bullte registration, people doing the "moonwalk", or when I shoot some one in close range, the hit mark doesn't show up after I shot 5 or 6 bullets.

I hope I explained myself well enough.
Old June 3, 2011, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

have you reset your cable modem box recently ?
do you use a router ? reset it too

the other thing is this. was it YOU lagging, or THEM lagging.

cable lines are shared by all your neighbors
as they use up more bandwidth it can and will affect your connection

upgrading might help. but...thats a huge bandwidth already. games don't use that much

on a side note : i've personally been noticing weird things going on for internet connections.

ppl having warpy connections to Team Speak servers. friends who can not see game servers
that others can. found out this is because of connection "hops" going way over 30. one server i
connected to and traced had 12 hops on an internal network provider. that is just messed up
and very poor network management on that companies part (us company)
also with the IPv4 being so low on available numbers. makes me wonder if sometimes theres multiple IPs with the same address happening.
Old June 3, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
upgrading might help. but...thats a huge bandwidth already. games don't use that much.
that's what I thought.
to answer your questions, I did try reset everything, but it doesn't alway help.
does router play a big role in this?
I can't think of the exact model of my router. but I don't think that's a big deal, right?
Old June 3, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

location of server can play the biggest role
Old June 3, 2011, 10:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone else have a computer hooked up at your place, they could be downloading torrents which can increase your ping or just make you lag. Its worse if they are using most of your upload speed as thats the easiest way to lag on other devices
Old June 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Anyone else have a computer hooked up at your place, they could be downloading torrents which can increase your ping or just make you lag. Its worse if they are using most of your upload speed as thats the easiest way to lag on other devices
I do have password on my router, but I did think about that.
do you know how to check if some one is connect to my router??
Old June 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
Rookie

upgrading to a better plan will not ensure better quality opposed to switching isps. i would call rogers tell them about your issue and if they do not wish to fix it in a timely manner then switch to shaw/telus if your not under contract. if you have novus in your area that is also extremely reliable as well.
Old June 5, 2011, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseindream View Post
I play on Xbox live most of the time, and I've played a little of Bad Company 2 on PC lately, and my ping is around 70(I don't think my experience on PC is a good presentation to address my internet problem since I don't have a good gaming PC right now).
by lagging, I mean delay between what I saw happening is not matching with what happens. such as bullte registration, people doing the "moonwalk", or when I shoot some one in close range, the hit mark doesn't show up after I shot 5 or 6 bullets.

I hope I explained myself well enough.
Ok, I play 2 hours of BFBC2 a day, and a server with a ping of 70 don't lagge, but your bullets stuf, happen yes, how many time after been hit by the first bulltet, I retirieve at the back of a wall and get kill. Online gaming are not perfect. Don't forget, can be other players that lagge too, if I'm not mistake they even have a hack to make peoples lagge so they will not hit you.