Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default WiFi Adapter vs Router

I have a Wireless SMC Gateway Router/Modem from my ISP which I connect to my PC in my room to via WiFi.

I'm using a Linksys AE1000 USB WiFi adapter instead of a wireless card. I'm thinking about picking up an ASUS router and flashing it with DD-WRT and using that instead. I have some other Wireless devices I might connect as well so the router seems like a good idea.

I would use the ASUS flashed with DD-WRT so I can use the Client option to connect to my SMC Wireless Modem/router.

I'm wondering if I will see a performance increase?
Old May 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You will see a bit of an increase. If you're on the 25mbps or 50mbps package you'll definitely get an improvement in speeds. The SMC D3 is not an inherently bad modem, but the router aspects as craptastic. Also while performing both, the modem performance takes a hit. All you have to do is login to the SMC config and disable wireless and disable "all commercial gateway functions". After that hook up your router and you're good to go :)

I have an ASUS N16 and my speedtests went up about 30% and the ping dropped about an average of 3-4ms. I highly suggest not using the smc3 router parts
Old May 23, 2011, 12:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
You will see a bit of an increase. If you're on the 25mbps or 50mbps package you'll definitely get an improvement in speeds. The SMC D3 is not an inherently bad modem, but the router aspects as craptastic. Also while performing both, the modem performance takes a hit. All you have to do is login to the SMC config and disable wireless and disable "all commercial gateway functions". After that hook up your router and you're good to go :)

I have an ASUS N16 and my speedtests went up about 30% and the ping dropped about an average of 3-4ms. I highly suggest not using the smc3 router parts
Interesting, I'm currently on Nitro (100mb/s Down & 5mb/s Up)

My Speedtest generally fall around 90+ Down and 4.92 Up.

So speed isn't my concern. I think you misunderstood. I'm thinking of replacing my Linksys USB adapter with a router, not connecting a router to my SMC.

I'm wondering about the ability to handle more of a workload. ie, torrenting while surfing the net on the PC that is connected via WiFi via the USB adaptor.