Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2011, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Google it, silly

But in a nutshell it's custom firmware. I don't know if it exists for your router or not but take a look about.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 22, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

@ $160 per port using powerline adapters

best position router Near the center of the area where your computers and other devices will operate, preferably

within line of sight to your wireless devices. shame netgear don't have external antenna port

time to visit home depot and

to run wire up through floors in corner: Caution don't hit water/power lines between floor or can fish lan cable through heating ducts if forced air heating

imho cable is the bestway to go

Last edited by KaptCrunch; May 22, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
I recently bought my first home which is a one story house which has a finished basement. I had the ISP technician hookup the cable modem next to the fuse/breaker panel in the basement as it would be not only an easier setup, but also a cleaner setup as well. I also hooked up my Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router right beside the cable modem. I mounted them both on the wall next to the breaker/fuse electrical panel.

I'm noticing that I'm getting a pretty weak signal from my wireless router. Is it because I mounted the router on the wall next to the breaker/fuse electrical panel? Would the fuse/breaker panel interfere with the signal? What about having a cordless phone in proximity of the router and computer?

What can I do to boost the signal? Purchase a wireless repeater? Change the routers wireless channel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • You can try changing the channel away from the default, especially if you're in an area with a lot of visible wireless networks.
  • Phone interference will depend on the phone... is it 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz?
  • The closer you can get it to the center of the basement the better, however even just moving it out from the wall a foot or so will probably improve reception.
  • Is this cable or DSL? If it's cable, you should be able to put the modem on just about any outlet, so one on the main floor would probably work better.
  • Do you have forced air heating? If so, try to avoid placing the router in a location where the ducting will be between the router and your PCs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP