Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2011, 02:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default How do I connect a printer to support 2 computers using a router?

I have a SMC Gateway Router and 2 computers connected to it with RJ-45 cable. They are (1 iMac + 1 PC) 150 feet apart both computers are wired to the router.
I also have a Canon Pixma MP 560 Multifunction Inkjet printer that has the capability to be connected both wired and wireless. Right now it is only connected to the iMac via a USB connection as all 3 (router, iMac and printer) are on the same workstation.

I would appreciate a detailed explanation as to how to connect the printer so it could also support the 2nd computer a Windows PC which is located on the floor below. Can I do that through the wired router too?
If not possible, I also have the capability to connect wirelessly although I would prefer to use the wired connnections.
The PC has a Belkin USB 2.0 Network Adapter for wireless connection; both SMC Router and Belkin USB adapter are 902.11 N capable

I would appreciate receiving help preferably detailed and in layman terms as I am not too versed on these tech issues.

Thank you kindly
Old May 12, 2011, 03:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Soooo, let me get this straight.

1) You have 2 PC's Hardwired via ethernet cable to your router
2) You have your Printer connected to router via ethernet cable
3) You have a 3rd PC downstairs ......connected to router via WIFI ?

4) You want all 3 PC's to communicate "as is" with your Printer.

Correct?
Old May 12, 2011, 04:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

there should be drivers for the printer on canons website. as for your printer, just hook it up wirelessly to your wifi following the instructions in the manual for the printer.

Just did this for my new epson workforce printer (also wireless) and can now scare people on the computer downstairs by using their printer. very useful
Old May 12, 2011, 04:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, seems the printer has WiFi, so just check out the manual or Canon's website for instructions on how to go about it. You'll have to remove the USB cable to your iMac though.

The printer will connect via WiFi to your router. Your computers will remain on Ethernet (wired).
Old May 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Soooo, let me get this straight.

1) You have 2 PC's Hardwired via ethernet cable to your router
Answer:This is partially correct: I have one iMac (desktop) and one Windows 7 based PC both hardwired to the router, The router is close to the iMac . The PC is the one downstairs.

2) You have your Printer connected to router via ethernet cable
Answer: Printer hardwired to the IMac desktop (also close to the iMac)

3) You have a 3rd PC downstairs ......connected to router via WIFI ?
Answer: I do not have a 3rd Computer

4) You want all 3 PC's to communicate "as is" with your Printer.
Answer: I want both the iMac upstairs and the PC dowstairs to communicate wired with the same Canon Printer

Hope I have now clarified the scenario for you to understand what I am after.

Thank you again

Correct?
(so I have already explained the real situation and my needs)
Old May 13, 2011, 03:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Personally I would use the Printers OEM Disc to install it's Driver software (and only it's Driver software) on the IMac & Win PC.

Then Assign a Static IP to the Printer, portforward that IP according to whatever Port the Manufacturer suggests (TCP ) and connect the Printer to your network via WIFI.

This way you can print via laptop (would have to install Driver software) or Iphone/Ipad (some great apps that will print to any printer)

Or you can simply go with the above suggestions if your adamant that having the Printer hardwired is what you want.

Disconnecting the Printer from the IMac is a must. I should think that you could connect the Printer via ethernet cable to your router. (I just wouldn't, its WIFI )

I have done this setup many times, but always with the Printer connected on the WIFI. Should be same process with hardwire.

As far as "laymans" terms, anyone here will be more than willing to explain in depth any part of the process (great forum). The most complicated part (if any) will most likely be setting up a Static IP in the Printer, the User Interface is not always as transparent as they could be lol.

Last edited by The Quicken; May 13, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:43 AM
Allstar

It should be pretty straightforward really. First thing is to get connect the printer to the router and get a static ip for it. Normally when you connect the printer to a router it will get dhcp. Print off the configuration sheet (different depending on model, usually have to press and hold the start button on the printer for a second or two). This should show you the ip address. Type that IP address in a browser and it should bring you to the printers configuration page. There you can set the static ip. Once that's done, on the xp machine, add printer/local printer/configure port/TCP/IP then input the info. A lot depends on the driver you get from Canon. You may just be able to run the setup and it will ask if it's it's setup via ip or usb. For the mac just run the driver setup and I believe it will also ask if it's ip based or not. Everything should be straightforward from there. The beauty of ip based printers is that getting another computer to print to it is just following these steps again.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N