Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2011, 10:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Network setup.....

I'll be moving in a few months and taking my multitude of PC's/Devices with me.... Looking for input on the network setup.

Current gear I have:
Linksys WRV200 4pt 10/100 Wireless G VPN router (business)
Belkin wireless G+ mimo 4pt 10/100 router (consumer)
Linksys 16pt 10/100 switch
Netgear 24pt 10/100 switch

Devices:
PS3, Ipod Touch, Ipad
multiple folding boxes 10/100, couple with wireless g adapters
Main rig/laptop Wireless N/gigabit
Will rebuild my file server with new drives (gigabit)

My main sticking point is that I dont have an N router, I do like/want the VPN on the wrv200 and the belkin is just something laying around. Also both routers are 10/100, if I'm getting something with N, might as well make it N with gigabit even though my switches arent, the switches can be for the folding machines.

I think I could be happy with a new N/Gigabit router, would be nice if it had the VPN connections too for when I'm on the road. Was thinking of this D-Link Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router at Memory Express Computers it lists "vpn passthrough" so perhaps my wrv200 could connect to this to control the vpn? not sure on the details if that would work. Alternativly I'd replace my wrv200 with this LINKSYS Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN at Memory Express Computers just a little worried about the crummy review.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 1, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

get a gigabit switch of whatever size you need and then pick up the cheapest N router and use it as a WAP alongside your main router.

That's probably the cheapest option.