Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Teksavvy residential fix IP (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/42880-teksavvy-residential-fix-ip.html)

Lanboy April 27, 2011 05:07 PM

Teksavvy residential fix IP

First post, important question :
What is your experience with it ?
Are they changing the IP time to time or itís always the same attributed to the customer?

(pls not that I know what is fix IP, but some ISP like Easylink change the IP time to time. )

ZZLEE April 27, 2011 05:15 PM

where are you ? what services are you thinking of ?

Dry Line DSL is fixwed most times.

Lanboy April 27, 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZLEE (Post 509915)
Dry Line DSL is fixwed most times.

No they are not , as I said Eastlink change it time to time, it's why I want to know from members who have teksavvy residential fix IP DSL their experiences

geokilla April 27, 2011 05:23 PM

Better off posting in DSL Reports...

enaberif April 27, 2011 05:57 PM

Any company can change IPs its called DHCP servers :P

And its usually a lot of money to put someone or setup the means to give clients static ips.

Nodscene April 28, 2011 07:11 AM

Teksavvy offer a static ip for $4 a month. You would have to contact them to see if changes from time to time.

JD April 28, 2011 10:20 AM

Assuming you pay for the Static IP, then it'll be static. Otherwise, whenever you reboot your modem (or disconnect) you get a new IP.

On cable though, rebooting the modem usually doesn't give you a new IP (unless it's been off for quite some time). However if you plug a device into the modem with a different MAC address, then you get a new IP.

However we are quickly running out of IPv4 addresses, so I'm guessing soon enough they won't be offering the static option at all.

enaberif April 28, 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 510090)
Assuming you pay for the Static IP, then it'll be static. Otherwise, whenever you reboot your modem (or disconnect) you get a new IP.

On cable though, rebooting the modem usually doesn't give you a new IP (unless it's been off for quite some time). However if you plug a device into the modem with a different MAC address, then you get a new IP.

However we are quickly running out of IPv4 addresses, so I'm guessing soon enough they won't be offering the static option at all.

You don't get a new IP every time you reboot your modem or computer.

DHCP servers have a "lease" time that basically states you have the IP for a certain amount of time and depending on the ISP it can be a short time or a long time.

And the whole IPv4 vs IPv6 .. we won't see IPv6 in a home for a long time. There is still a lot of IPv4 ips to go around that never get used.

JD April 28, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 510098)
You don't get a new IP every time you reboot your modem or computer.

On TekSavvy DSL, whenever I rebooted the modem, new IP. That's just my experience. I don't think PPPoE really uses DHCP to the same extent as cable as far as lease times are concerned.

On TekSavvy Cable, my IP never changed with my RT-N16 router. Regardless of what was rebooted. However when I swapped routers yesterday, I got a new IP.

I guess I should of specified that it was all based on TekSavvy, not generalization, in my other post...

enaberif April 28, 2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 510181)
On TekSavvy DSL, whenever I rebooted the modem, new IP. That's just my experience. I don't think PPPoE really uses DHCP to the same extent as cable as far as lease times are concerned.

On TekSavvy Cable, my IP never changed with my RT-N16 router. Regardless of what was rebooted. However when I swapped routers yesterday, I got a new IP.

I guess I should of specified that it was all based on TekSavvy, not generalization, in my other post...

PPPoE is completely different than a normal high speed connection.. keyword is PPP which is basically like a dialup situation over ethernet and and would explain the different IPs all the time.