Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default IPV6

With the current kerfuffarl over bandwidth usage and overage charges I came across another concern that I was not aware of. That being IP adresses are running scarse in Canada. The U.S. and other countries are performing tests to impliment a new IP adress system IPV6. The old proticol IPV4 is running out of numbers or addresses to accomadate all the new pc's, smartphones etc coming on line. From what I heard Canada or it's internet providers hasn't even started the first faze of testing for the new protical.
From the news report I heard probably around mid-summer no more adresses will be available for new smartphones, pc's unless the new IP system is implimented.
Did I hear wrong or is this a much greater issue than the bandwidth contriversy??
Old March 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

You won't see IPv6 in public homes anytime soon. IPv4 has a long life to live for so many reasons.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
Banned
F@H

this sounds like the marketing ads from 1999 'buy this or else next year your coffee maker will blow up!' :p

itl be fine, here have a cold one!
Old March 11, 2011, 09:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey Dan Thxs I might have 2 since you're buying.
This was a radio report on a local station with a couple MS employees relating the facts as they see them.
I know.. /!*&
Old March 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do remember, your household only has a single public IP address (these are the ones that are "running out"). Your router uses NAT to translate that single public IP so all your computers/phones/etc can share it. Thus why inside your home (and businesses) your IP address is like 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x as these are private classes. The rest of the numbers between 0-255 are public space for the most part.

But yes, as more and more people gain Internet world-wide, we have started to come up short. IPv6 definitely won't show up overnight by any means as it involves some fairly significant re-configuration and possible firmware/hardware upgrades.

And TekSavvy was testing IPv6 on DSL. Not on Cable though. I'm sure Bell/Rogers are doing their own internal testing too, just not offering it to customer like TekSavvy did.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

luckily, most homes are equipped with IPv6 compatible hardware. There might be a few rough spots ahead, but there is by no means a cause for concern.

you're also kind of comparing apples to oranges anyways.