Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
So Sorry Have you ever owned a Linksys? So Far it's been better than the D-Link Crap that I've owned in the past.
I like having the freedom to use my own antennas.

Though all my D-Links of the past have had more than acceptable range and they were all external antenna. My DGL-4300 was absolutely solid. Only the power adapter kept dying and I just got fed up with replacing it. DIR-655 wasn't too stable, but the wireless was perfect. Actually better than the RT-N16 I have now.

Anyways, for the OP, I don't think a $50 Linksys is going to be the greatest you can find for $50. You pay for the brand like anything.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:01 PM
MVP

Asus RT-N16 running either DD-WRT or Tomato-USB (What I have loaded right now.). This router is hardware overkill & with the previously mentioned firmwares is the best router I have even owned hands down. Dual USB ports (Work great with Tomato-USB) fast cpu & loads of ram & flash capacity.

Buy ASUS [RT-N16] ASUS RT-N16 4 Port Gigabit Wireless N Router With 2x USB 2.0 Ports

Don't even look at the stock firmware, just flash to Tomato-USB right away and enjoy.
Welcome to the Tomato USB web site - TomatoUSB

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old March 7, 2011, 12:33 AM
Top Prospect

wireless connection isn't a big issue for myself, as I, myself don't use wireless connection but rest of my family does on their laptops but they don't complain about it. but I get major ping issues with current d-link router and having to reset router every 4 hours or else it won't stay connected via ethernet cable.

so I don't need expensive wireless router, just a simple wireless router to satisfy my family, which they aren't too picky with speed at all. They are not tech savy or just into the whole computer stuff at all so as long as they can connect to internet via wireless they are good to go, on the other hand I use desktop with ethernet cable to connect to router. so just any good router with okay wireless spec.

I figured since I don't use wireless connection and family members arent picky or care for the internet speed much at all I don't need fancy and expensive wireless router.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
wireless connection isn't a big issue for myself, as I, myself don't use wireless connection but rest of my family does on their laptops but they don't complain about it. but I get major ping issues with current d-link router and having to reset router every 4 hours or else it won't stay connected via ethernet cable.

so I don't need expensive wireless router, just a simple wireless router to satisfy my family, which they aren't too picky with speed at all. They are not tech savy or just into the whole computer stuff at all so as long as they can connect to internet via wireless they are good to go, on the other hand I use desktop with ethernet cable to connect to router. so just any good router with okay wireless spec.

I figured since I don't use wireless connection and family members arent picky or care for the internet speed much at all I don't need fancy and expensive wireless router.
I'll give you an example of which I just went through.

I picked up a Linksys WRT120N router which cost me about $50. The router is not capable of running any aftermarket firmware and has built in antennas. Second I figured this router would be ok for my needs but once I started putting any amount of traffic through it the router showed its true colors fast.

It would constantly drop my connection and I would have to constantly reset the router.

Point being is that don't cheap out on a router and save up for a good one.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

WRT120N and WRT160N are the crappiest routers out there. Bought a 160 for a customer, would drop the connection hourly. Linksys support didn't know why, and was of no help. There is a huge thread over at their support forum which gives no clear solution.

Bought a DIR-655, no issues since. Just like the 5 others I installed, and my own that's been up-and-running for the past 2 years.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

dropped connection, is that with wirelesss or plugged in directly with ethernet ports?

I don't think with my current router any of wireless connection gets dropped by mainly with ethernet port connections, there's constant ping fluctuation especially when im gaming.

my current router is

dlink wbr-1310

anyone have any experiences with belkin routers?

one i listed in the first post is good price on sale but not sure how goood it is, I see bunch of mixed reviews..

Last edited by Mekaw; March 7, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

D-Link DIR-655 - it's on sale at NCIX right now. Compared to my old TrendNet router, this new one is amazing: fast wi-fi, great DL/UL speeds. And most important of all, unlike the TrendNet router, this new one doesn't block my connection to Microsoft Update & Microsoft.com :)
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old March 7, 2011, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

^thanks but I'm going to avoid d-link like flea
Old March 7, 2011, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
^thanks but I'm going to avoid d-link like flea
lol i hear ya - i'm personally going to avoid TrendNet like the flea.
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old March 7, 2011, 03:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
dropped connection, is that with wirelesss or plugged in directly with ethernet ports?

I don't think with my current router any of wireless connection gets dropped by mainly with ethernet port connections, there's constant ping fluctuation especially when im gaming.

my current router is

dlink wbr-1310

anyone have any experiences with belkin routers?

one i listed in the first post is good price on sale but not sure how goood it is, I see bunch of mixed reviews..
Dropped connections on both wired and wireless connections. Hourly on wireless, and I had a hard configuring the router while connected via wire.