Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Help unblocking BitComet listening port

Hi guys,

I installed BitComet today and it shows a yellow light next to my listening port, and it's telling me to check my firewall and router settings, but doesn't tell me exactly what to check for. The following is my internet set up.

Shaw cable modem --> D-Link DIR-655 router --> Zonealarm Free firewall --> my rig

I'm a noob when it comes to networking, so I'm not sure what I should be doing at this point. I found something online about port forwarding, but I don't think Shaw lets me set a static IP address and still connect to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old March 2, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

uninstall bitcomet inmmediately and install uTorrent

enable UPnP on your router (I think the dir-555 supports UPnP)
Old March 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post

Thanks! For some reason my download speeds with uTorrent was really bad a couple years ago, but now it's even better than what I was getting from BitComet!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old March 2, 2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
Hi guys,

I installed BitComet today and it shows a yellow light next to my listening port, and it's telling me to check my firewall and router settings, but doesn't tell me exactly what to check for. The following is my internet set up.

Shaw cable modem --> D-Link DIR-655 router --> Zonealarm Free firewall --> my rig

I'm a noob when it comes to networking, so I'm not sure what I should be doing at this point. I found something online about port forwarding, but I don't think Shaw lets me set a static IP address and still connect to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I think a few of the bittorrent programs are getting really sophisticated that it seems they can forward the ports already or it seems that way. I have done tests of just having the bittorrent program run as default and have no problem with the speeds. But, I would port forward to be sure and enable both udp and tcp... Go to portforward.com for more explanations and instructions for your router.

You should be able to manually set up a static ip. The ISP shouldn't have anything to do with it. You should have static ip set up if you use more than one computer or have multiple computers connected to the internet anyway.

I don't want to give false info so if I said anything wrong, I guess I'll be corrected.
Old March 3, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

^

that's called UPnP.
Old March 4, 2011, 05:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

BitComet is a great Torrenting engine....provided you have a high Rank as it will give you priority over lesser ranks.

However I would not recommend BitComet unless your planning on doing some serious DL. I only use it because my Brother-in-law has been on it for years and I use his password which enables me (seeds providing) DL of 6000 KB/s. My connection allows for 3 Mb/s UL & 50 Mb/s DL.

The Firewall/Port Forwarding is straight forward--Portforward.com is Helpful.

Static IP--Yes you can, Start by Googling "Static IP Windows (whatever you have)".

There are numerous easy to follow tutorials online.

If you stay with BitComet share your password with some friends to help your rank, set your upload limit to 25 KB/s (min seed limit required to gain EXP).
Old March 4, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post

I never enable UPnp just for the fact that people can easily use it to hack your router.
all you need is utorrent. I tried bit torrent years ago and never liked it, I am not saying it is bad but I never really liked it back then because it slowed down my pc ( was a new p4 with 500mb ram) hehe.
anyways turn off the UPnP and see if there is any difference ( which I really doubt there is any significant difference).
Old March 4, 2011, 06:34 PM
Banned
F@H

if you wanna go hard at it, you need a modem that can take lots of connections, plus a linux run router

and id kindly suggest utorrent. just make sure to back it up regularly(app data : utorrent : copy paste it to your
usb drive, when it gets messed up copy paste it back)

unpnp is great if the little green icon doesnt turn green. although manually adding the ports is a good idea.
also make sure to change the ports from time to time ;)

and enable low cpuid=true

edit : max half open : it can be anywhere from 100-5k depending on your hardware/line

Last edited by _dangtx_; March 4, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use Xunlei. It's Chinese but it's a great all-in-one downloader that handles BT and eMule/edonkey files. I believe it can also handle FTP.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:32 PM
Banned
F@H

for all in one flashget is the one to use. also chinese. some of the best bt speeds but i prefer utorrent