Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 07:05 PM
Rookie

Question Server Browser Issues

I've had this issue ever since I built my gaming rig and upgrading my network.

Any time I view a server browser I will get VERY limited results. In Black Ops I get roughly 5-900 out of 10k servers and with any Steam server browser I get about 20 servers or less.

Once I refresh again I will generally yield one server located in another country with ridiculous latency (999).

If I alt+tab out of the game or exit entirely I cannot make any new connections. If I'm in a Skype chat or have a messenger service open it still works.

If I try to make any new connections such as one of three web browsers or another messenger service, I cannot connect.

This has been plaguing my network for over a year now. I've found absolutely NOTHING when it comes to this issue so I'm thinking this is definitely specific to me.

My setup is as follows:

Embarq 666 Series Modem -> Netgear WGR614 v7 Router -> Two computers (Wired) and one Xbox 360 (Wireless).

My setup is an ASUS M4A785-M motherboard. I'll leave it at that considering I'm using the integrated network controller.

The other computer seems to work fine when I have these issues. Anything on the WiFi works as well.

Occasionally I'll get the "limited or no network connectivity" popup.

And before anyone says, I've updated all of my drivers, updated my BIOS, and have reformatted mulitple times.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old February 4, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are all of the proper game ports open in your router?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Are all of the proper game ports open in your router?
Yep. I've even put my computer in the DMZ. No dice.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

jack direct into your modem and try. When I online game, i usually bypass my router completely depending on the game... then wire back into my network when my gaming session is complete.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have you tried pinging some of the servers from your router and not your pc?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

If you need to open ports on your router for gaming or plug directly into your modem for gaming then your router sucks and you need a new one :P
Old February 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
Rookie

I've tried directly connected to the modem. It seems to be this network controller. Another computer in my house (before the network change) had the same motherboard and the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
have you tried pinging some of the servers from your router and not your pc?

I'm not too sure what you mean.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
If you need to open ports on your router for gaming or plug directly into your modem for gaming then your router sucks and you need a new one :P
As I've previously stated, I already have opened ports and tried DMZ. UPnP is also enabled. This is definitely not related to any port-forwarding issues.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlusconi View Post
As I've previously stated, I already have opened ports and tried DMZ. UPnP is also enabled. This is definitely not related to any port-forwarding issues.
That is my point.

You shouldn't have to be opening any ports.

And if the issue is the same with the router removed from the equation and plugged into your modem you only have 2 things left... your ISP or your NIC.

I'd start by trying a different nic and seeing what happens.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rookie

I have a few NICs laying around, but they're much older and I'm afraid of the performance loss. I DO have a few 100Mb/s Intel NICs that I could try.

I'm dreading the removal of my sound card, but I'll give it a shot this afternoon and report back.