Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Monitoring Internet usage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/40408-monitoring-internet-usage.html)

botat29 February 1, 2011 11:44 AM

Monitoring Internet usage

Someone in my house is taking way too much of my Bell 110 gb/month Internet package an I would like to know which one of my kids or wife is doing so, and mostly show them how much they use it, so is there a software easy to use that I can install in each PC that will give me the daily usage ( upload, download) and most important the monthly one

Rescue119 February 1, 2011 11:54 AM

you should be able to log into bell's website and check your daily usage. I know with rogers you can. Cant' see why bell wouldnt allow it as well.

enaberif February 1, 2011 11:56 AM

Install something like DuMeter on the other machines.

Socrates_Johnston February 1, 2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rescue119 (Post 480814)
you should be able to log into bell's website and check your daily usage. I know with rogers you can. Cant' see why bell wouldnt allow it as well.

he want usage per computer not usage in total.

maybe your router has function that would help?

botat29 February 1, 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 480817)
Install something like DuMeter on the other machines.

I just download this one and when you reboot the computer you have to put the admin password for make it work, of course my kids and wife don't have an administrator user right ( not crazy enough to do so )

botat29 February 1, 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston (Post 480818)
maybe your router has function that would help?

may be a good idea to upgrade this $%?$?%% Bell Ewire for something with more option , any sugestion of a good wireless router who can monitor every pc ?

DCCV44.2223 February 1, 2011 12:59 PM

Bandwidth usage counters installed in computers usually include *both* LAN and WAN traffic, maybe that's all you need to do the job. (BTW You can use Task Scheduler to automatically enter password when starting such apps.)

To get accurate WAN bandwidth usage for each IP, you need to do it at the router. Some routers and most real firewalls have that built in, otherwise you need to try 3rd party firmware, I have not kept up with development on them but I think DD-WRT together with ntop/rflow will do what you want, you'll need to ask the DD-WRT experts.

botat29 February 1, 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 (Post 480843)
To get accurate WAN bandwidth usage for each IP, you need to do it at the router. Some routers and most real firewalls have that built in, .

I check with few model, for exemple a cisco at $ 200 can give me the trafic on the 4 wired port and only the total of all the wifi connections

DCCV44.2223 February 1, 2011 01:47 PM

When you configure Task scheduler, set the task to run using an admin account and enable it to run whether the user is logged on or not. you'll be prompted for the password when you OK the settings.

Blu February 1, 2011 06:43 PM

+1 for Du Meter, been using it for years and I love the little program.