Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   netgear powerline adapter kit (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/40321-netgear-powerline-adapter-kit.html)

Socrates_Johnston January 29, 2011 01:17 PM

netgear powerline adapter kit

hey all

I got my hands on a Netgear Powerline AV 200 Adapter Kit. Essentially it allows me to extend my network connection through any two power outlets. It boats speeds up to 200Mbps.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a kit like this? how stable is the connection? how does it work? (lol)

ZZLEE January 29, 2011 01:26 PM

"Linus" uses one at home. He uses it fore HDMI to his HTPC .
Try it And See Hoe it works.

Edit: plug directly into wall ( No power bar)

YouTube - Western Digital Livewire Powerline Networking Kit Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips

Socrates_Johnston January 29, 2011 01:39 PM

I just did some basic testing with my laptop, using speedtest.net to compare speeds from wifi, direct connection and through the AV kit, here are the results

av
down 7.45 mbps
up 1.04
ping 51ms

wifi
down 12.66 mbps
up 1.05 mbps
ping 46ms

direct
down 8.02mbps
up 1.04 mbps
ping 41ms

*testing methodology: I ran each test 3x and took the fastest result per method. ran all tests from the same server.

This was not what I was expecting, how come my wifi is that much faster than being directly connected?

ZZLEE January 29, 2011 01:50 PM

WiFi might have two conetions at the same time.
yours and N and G or yours and nabbors. :)

The printer I have has WiFi so My sister gets Router and Printer on the WIFI at the same time if its turnd on. :)

Wired is 1000
N 500
wire line 200

Max possable speeds

Depends priorty on router also :)

Edit: TRy "Mount Royal , QC "/ Speedtest { see what your top speed is }

mines 19 down on this server 19 ms :ph34r:

should see wider spread on ping with wire line

Arinoth January 29, 2011 03:31 PM

Its your testing methodology, using speedtest.net or really any external website bandwidth site will give you skewed results as a lot of ISPs have a speed boost that allow for fast download speed for 10 secs before it backs off to a much lower speed. You should try transfering a fairly large file from one PC to another through those three connections. Should give you a more accurate representation.

Linus January 29, 2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZLEE (Post 479731)
"Linus" uses one at home. He uses it fore HDMI to his HTPC .

My name is in "quotes" now? :p

Socrates_Johnston January 29, 2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 479787)
Its your testing methodology, using speedtest.net or really any external website bandwidth site will give you skewed results as a lot of ISPs have a speed boost that allow for fast download speed for 10 secs before it backs off to a much lower speed. You should try transfering a fairly large file from one PC to another through those three connections. Should give you a more accurate representation.

I suspected as much. Thanks!

Also: that video was useful, I appreciate it.

ZZLEE January 29, 2011 04:56 PM

Np : thanks "LInus"