Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 05:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Smile Router questions

Ok so I guess I will be getting a new router here to link everything up!. I currently have my pc directly to my modem and my first xbox 360 sits here connected to my telus modem/router. But yes I have a couple questions about buying a router, I see there literally all "WIRESLESS" now a days but I would like to keep my main pc and possibly my main xbox 360 wired and I've heard that there are still 4 ports on the back of routers for you to connect stuff so that will work, now the other questions...How many wireless devices can I connect to the router? I plan on having a xbox 360/wii/ps3/HTPC out in my living room and possibly another PC, how do I go about connecting the game consoles? I know the xbox 360 has the network adapter so would I just connect that to my xbox 360 and it would connect to my modem like that? How would the Wii connect and the PS3? And how would the HTPC connect? Do I need one of those PCI/X1 Cards to make it connect? I also need a router that is good and easy with port forwarding as I do use alot of ports myself (Heavy torrenter/useneter). I've been looking at a couple routers that were suggested but this is the one that really caught my eye,
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DGL-4500 Xtreme N 802.11B/G/N Gaming Router Triple Antenna Gigabit GameFuel LCD USB - DGL-4500 In Canada.
It looks nice and seems to be higher end so I would assume it would be simple as anything to open ports on it and such, I would also like to possibly add a file server in the mix here in the future, so my questions on this router are, will it work with as many devices as I have listed here to use for it? (6-8 with the file server and other pc in the living room)

Also with this router I see it has these,
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DWA-556 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N 3X3 PCI-E1 Adapter - DWA-556 In Canada.
and
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N Triple Antenna PCI Adapter - DWA-552 In Canada.

Whats the difference? Just that one is for PCIX1 or are they that different? Also is there another way of connecting a home PC to the router then needing a PCI/X1 Slot? And how would the xbox360/wii/ps3 connect to this router as well? Thanks for the help. I know my typing and paragraphing is awful isn't it?
Old January 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Why did you make a new thread for .. just continue on in the other one.

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also gaming routers are a waste of money and I personally don't Dlink stuff.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
and I personally don't Dlink stuff.

same here, only bad experiences with them
Old January 28, 2011, 07:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

im fine with D-Link... deployed hand-fulls of DIR-655's... those things never seem to quit, even in big offices. The lesser D-Link models are very poor in comparison.

My new standard is Netgear tho.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Why did you make a new thread for .. just continue on in the other one.

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also gaming routers are a waste of money and I personally don't Dlink stuff.
I made the thread cause it's sorta off the topic of the old thread was meant to be...So do you know how I would and if it could connect more then 4 devices via wireless or no?...If the router I picked was so bad can you suggest one that's got real easy port forwarding and such? Thanks.

Edit: I'm not going for this router because of the gaming tag linked to it, it's cause I like the LCD and read it has a easy backend to manage.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The DIR-655 is functionally the same, minus the LCD.

4 wired PCs, and however many wireless clients you want. Not sure what the limit on D-Link's stuff is, but on my ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT, the default is 128. I'm sure D-Link can handle at least 4 wireless + 4 wired though.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

WIRESLESS.

D-link sucks.

you don't need anything special, don't kind yourself. UPnP will help alot with most things regarding forwarding.
connect the devices however the hell you want? what PCI/1X cards are you even talking about? most things connect with ethernet or wireless. ethernet is built into everything.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The Xbox can easily be connected wireless via the network adapter that you'll have to buy. The wireless "N" one sells for approximately 80cdn. For the Wii you'll need the Wi-Fi USB Connector to connect it to the web and your PC. I have a D-Link DIR615 and it sucks because I usually have to reset it every couple of days. I'm also in the market for something better so any suggestions in this thread will also help me in deciding on what to buy. Here's some Pics of whay you'll need.

Name:  1-28-2011 11-39-23 PM.png
Views: 229
Size:  117.7 KB
Name:  USB Connector.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  13.3 KB
Old January 28, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anything that runs DD-WRT such as the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm sorta interested in this,
NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous DUAL-N Band Wireless Router 2.4/5GHZ 802.11A/B/G/N 4PORT Gigabit Switch - WRT610N-CA In Canada.
For the fact it's on sale and that I can plug a usb drive and make a NAS out of it, I got a 4 bay mediasonic I could hook up :)