Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2011, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Tomato and DD-WRT are firmwares based upon Linux. It works perfectly fine with Windows client PCs though as it's only the router's OS in Linux.

I too run a ASUS RT-N16. 100% rock solid. I run DD-WRT though, haven't tried Tomato.

You can also run some basic apps on the router too using Optware. Optware, the Right Way - DD-WRT Wiki
Old January 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

tomato and ddwrt don't run on your computer, they run on the router. After that point, the router doesn't care what hardware or OS is going though it.
Old January 30, 2011, 01:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

If your not overly comfortable/familiar with Routers I would strongly advise going with Linksys/cisco--will give you the options you need and is relatively easy to find & execute whatever Portforwarding/QOS you might need to.

So easy in fact I have walked friends (who know nothing of networking) through opening NAT/Port Forwarding for their 360 over the phone on their Linksys/Cisco.

Just get a Gaming Rated Router and expect to pay $100 + on it unless you find a nice sale.

Last edited by The Quicken; January 30, 2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old January 30, 2011, 01:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
I also went through purchasing a new router recently to replace my still functioning Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato Firmware.

Couple observations:

Any router, even if it has the best hardware base, is at the mercy of it's firmware. I have yet to find a router who's default firmware can match 3rd paty offerings such as DD-WRT, Tomato, ect. If a router is not compatible with either of these 3rd party firmwares I will NOT look at it.

That being said, it will now come down the the hardware specs, build quality & warranty service.

I chose the Asus RT-N16 as my router and am extremely happy with it. I run a variant of the original Tomato firmware called "Tomato USB" and with a usb drive plugged into it I have access to network storage, in addition to the home server I also have, if needed.
I would not have purchased this router if I had been stuck using the default firmware. Being DD-WRT & Tomato compatible in addition to over the top hardware specs which include 32MB Flash memory, 128Mb Ram, a Broadcom Processor clocked at 480Mhz, dual USB ports & gigabit lan ports made the decision pretty easy.

This unit really & actually only shines when 3rd party firmware is used with the factory firmware holding back the units performance. The only negative I've seen is that the RT-N16 isn't dual band capable but with all the other pluses I'm very happy with it.
CNET Review

The good: The Asus RT-N16 multifunction wireless router has impressive specs including Gigabit Ethernet and two USB ports. It performs well and works great with third-party, open-source firmware.
The bad: The Asus RT-N16 is bulky and doesn't support dual-band communication. Its USB ports don't provide enough power for bus-powered portable hard drives. When running Asus' stock firmware, the router is buggy and has an unstable wireless signal.
The bottom line: The Asus RT-N16 is a great, fun router for networking enthusiasts who want to use it with third-party, open-source firmware, such as Tomato or DD-WRT. However, everyone else should wait until Asus provides a more stable version of the firmware.
Review: Like motherboards, the hardware Asus is known for making, you can use many different third-party router operating systems (aka firmware) on the RT-N16. Equipped with an overclockable 480Mhz CPU and 128MB of RAM, the router performed great in our trials when it was running DD-WRT, one of the most well-known Linux-based open-source router firmware options.
When using Asus' stock firmware, the RT-N16 was buggy and didn't pass our wireless signal stress test; however, it had decent throughput performance.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Linky to article
Asus RT-N16 Review - Routers - CNET Reviews
Old January 30, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't already have a router it sounds like the one to get.....
Old February 1, 2011, 05:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great, now I'm stuck between the linksys and the asus since I've never actually flashed the firmware on anything before I'm sort of afraid to...Should I just get the linksys for it's ease of use? Both can run dd-wrt as well if I ever decide on switching...
Old February 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are step by step guides for flashing the firmware and undoing any mistakes.

I have the RT-N16, the firmware is HORRIBLE. I always thought the reviews were over exaggerated, but the stock firmware is honestly unusable, the firmware updates basically trade two bugs for three new ones. The latest 1.9 is semi-usable, it has some DHCP issues that cause connection loss on a regular basis, but it's bearable for my purposes. I just wanted to use the proprietary features.

However, I wouldn't recommend the router TBH. Unless of course you really want to get into DD-WRT/Tomato and have 80 bucks to mess around with.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The ASUS flash process is rather painless. You basically flash a small DD-WRT build via the stock ASUS firmware, reset it, then flash the full DD-WRT build. As long as you can read instructions, I don't foresee any problems.

Asus RT-N16 - DD-WRT Wiki
Old February 2, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

currently i am running a wrt54gl with the latest version of tomato. Works great. Flashing a linksys is quite easy at least on the gl version it was. Personally i prefer tomato i find stuff is buried on dd-wrt. But that will be moot as i am going to be going to pfsense soon enough.

Old February 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
currently i am running a wrt54gl with the latest version of tomato. Works great. Flashing a linksys is quite easy at least on the gl version it was. Personally i prefer tomato i find stuff is buried on dd-wrt. But that will be moot as i am going to be going to pfsense soon enough.
I love my 54GL with tomato, rock solid, the thing never goes down and can handle torrents/usenet fine.